Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 67 Nova Drag Car. Just Put A Aftermarket Clip On And Got A New Master Cylinder. All I Am Running Is A Adjustable Porp. Valve. Question Is On The M/c Is Front Res. For Front Barakes And Rear Res For Back Brakes? Resoirvor Is Same Size Front And Back. Car Has Front Disc And Rear Drum. Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
tHE oRIGINAL mASTER cYLINDER fOR yOUR cAR pROBABLY wAS fOR dRUM/DRUM bRAKES aND tHE rESERVOIRS wILL bE tHE sAME sIZE. dID yOU bUY yOUR m/C fOR dISC/DRUM bRAKES?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Blown Deuce,
The master cyl you have will likely not work, it sounds like it is for a drum/drum system and will have check valves in it. Your brakes will likely lock up after the second stop because of these valves...
I just went through this issue the hard way here is what I used...

1. Get a M/C from a 69 Vette from your local parts store. they come in powered and non-powered. this is the same one you see advertized in every street rod mag available. The larger bowl goes to the front (disc) because it needs more fluid to operate due to piston size.
2. Order a 10 lb Residual valve from Wilwood or any Street rod shop and put it in line after your prop valve going to your rear drum brakes.

here is a link for everything you ever wanted to know about brake systems

http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/brakes4_index.htm

Good luck
Frank T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts