Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 4 of these https://myliftstand.com. They have to heights: 8 and 14 inches.

I've never tried getting the wheels of the ground 8 inches. Was a bit surprised how the car reacted. My first attempt getting the rear wheels up I used the front rear spring mounts. The car was moaning. It actually lifted the front wheel off the ground. Didn't like the looks of that so I used the center section on the rearend. That worked fine.

Now to the front. I tried the frame rail behind the wheel as far forward as I could. Same result...the entire side of the car was being lifted by the time I got the wheel 8 inches off the ground. Didn't like that.

So, I need to jack from the very front of the car. I've been looking for locations and am unsure. There are cross members but they don't look very strong. I've attached photos of two possible places but need advice.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
My suggestion would be to jack up front, one side at a time under the front lower control are. Closer to the ball joint with a 2 X 4 block of wood on top of the jack head. Be careful not to hit the zerk fitting on the lower ball joint.

A little at a time on each side...not all at once. Doing the center section of the rear is fine there. Do front first so not to twist the car much. Unless you have subframe connectors, do it slowly on both sides and not all at once.

You should be able to open doors with ease if done right after its up on the stands.

Dave

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
3,970 Posts
Any time I need to raise the front of my 67 I use the cross member. If it's not strong enough to hold up your cars front end then you have serious structural issues. Also these cars need sub-frame connectors. If I were planning a 120HP 4 cyl. engine before I started I would secure sub-frame connectors.:yes:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cross member directly under the harmonic balancer?

I do plan on adding sub-frame connectors. Maybe sooner than later. What brand of connector do you have on your car(s)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all feedback. Really helped. I put a jack under each lower control arm and lifted the front end evenly. Nothing broke. Not a fan of the stock front end. Finally will be able to start getting some work done.

Mike

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts