Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've removed the floor pan on my 67. Have been prepping the surfaces to weld in the new pan. Just got the undercoat removed from the rockers and frame rails and to my dismay I see that both are galvanized. Hmmm...wasn't expecting that. I spent 20 years in the sheet metal business and remember always being warned about welding anything galvanized. I've done a considerable amount of welding of mild steel but not galvanized. So, not sure what to do? The metal is so thin to begin with that I doubt grinding is an option. What about respirators? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just hold your breath and pull the trigger. Or you could use a respirator of some kind If you're a big sissy.:devil:

·
Registered
174 Posts
use a fan to blow away excess fumes but not the shielding gas. drinking a lot of milk gets rid of galvanic poisoning if you do inhale too much. we weld galvanized pipe at work all the time, its not that big a deal.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Made me laugh.

Yeah, I'm a BIG SISSY alright and decided to use MILLER LPR-100 HALF MASK RESPIRATOR along with some ventilation.

Thanks. Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts