Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears there is a lot of play in, what I believe is the sector shaft, coming out of the gear box where the Pitman arm connects. I can move it back and forth by hand from underneath. I have searched for hours and read a lot of posts but most are several years old and many of the links to parts don't work any longer. So, once again, anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or know of a rebuilder? Would an easier option be to buy an already rebuilt box? I see GM Classics sells a quick ratio box for $360. Quick ratio being 4 turns lock to lock, which is what is currently in the car now. I wouldn't necessarily call that quick. Not sure if rebuilding it is something that can be done with average skill and tools or not. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Victor

·
Registered
61 Posts
The hardest part would be replacing the pinion shaft bushings. Other than that, it's not bad. I posted a bunch of links in a recent thread for parts and rebuild kits. It is cheaper and easier to buy an already rebuilt box.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Somehow I missed that. I even commented earlier in that post and I bought a tube of corn head grease to put in my gear box. it took most of the tube. Apparently it was completely empty. I appreciate the information. Do you happen to know how many turns lock to lock yours is? More importantly are you happy with the results?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished watching your videos. Thank you for the time and effort. Lots of good information. My ability to find things on the internet appears to be lacking.
I looked at the Borgeson web site several times. The gear box they have listed states it is for 62-66. I didn't contact them to see what is available for a 67. I did contact Power steering.com that you referenced yesterday but haven't heard back from them.
I think I would buy one or have someone else rebuild it for me. I don't have a big enough set of channel locks. Of course, that's a good reason to buy more tools!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do think your best bet is to purchase a rebuilt box. I contemplated doing that as well. Just because honestly it's cheaper and it's all done and you don't have to worry about doing it yourself.but if you need big channel locks for another project harbor freight has some super cheap as well as many other tools that'll work just fine for people like us. Good luck either way.

Also Lares makes a quick ratio box that's available on RockAuto for 67.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to contact Borgeson. Theirs is basically OEM it sounds like. I can still drive the car until it gets here. I don't have a shop manual for the 67 yet but I assume since the gear box is the short shaft with a coupling it is a pretty straight forward removal and installation. Looks like I'll need a Pitman arm puller so I might as well get those large channel locks while I'm at it. The guy with the most tools (or toys) at the end wins. Right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Truth. Typically whenever I need a tool I just buy it. It helps build up the collection. Unless there's something that's very expensive that I only need to use once, then I'll try to borrow or rent it.

If you haven't heard of it or used it before definitely check out the harbor freight coupon database. They typically have a coupon for just about everything. If you're paying full price for anything in the store you're throwing money away. Not everything is discounted but a majority of things are and their discounts vary from time to time. Check out the link below. They also have an Android app which makes it so much easier. You can scan each item while you're in the store and then add it to your list. And just pull it up a check out and read off all your coupon codes. Instant savings!

Good luck with the steering box. They're not all that hard to get out but it all depends if you have headers, which might make it a little tougher. Also I used to have fender well headers so I don't have the rear inner fender panels which also makes it much easier to remove the box. Obviously you'll have to pull the column and all that jazz but it's not too bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight. My latest purchase was a ball joint removal tool. Used it a couple days ago to put in new upper ball joints. That tool works great. Wasn't very expensive either. Lot easier than a pickle fork and big hammer.
I do have headers. Not sure it I'll have to take it off to get the gear box out. Looks like it just might squeeze out but I'll see. Thanks for the tips and support.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I contacted Borgeson about a steering gear box for a 67. This was their response.
"No it won’t. 67 was a one year car so we don’t have any steering box for that car. Manual or Power box".

Joshua Barber
860-482-8283
9 Krieger Dr.
Travelers Rest SC, 29690

·
Registered
125 Posts
You don't have to pull the column to get the 67 steering box out. Be aware that the lower bearing in the steering column will probably have to be replaced. But you can even do that without pulling the column.

I'm not familiar with the Lares boxes. A quick ratio aftermarket box will be about 3-3/4 turns lock to lock. A stock ratio box will be about 5 turns. I would not recommend a quick ratio box without having the stock type power steering with the hydraulic cylinder. Which is what I have - a stock box converted to quick ratio with parts from NNN years ago - and to my knowledge, no longer available. Perhaps the Lares box accomplishes the same thing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't have to pull the column to get the 67 steering box out. Be aware that the lower bearing in the steering column will probably have to be replaced. But you can even do that without pulling the column.

I'm not familiar with the Lares boxes. A quick ratio aftermarket box will be about 3-3/4 turns lock to lock. A stock ratio box will be about 5 turns. I would not recommend a quick ratio box without having the stock type power steering with the hydraulic cylinder. Which is what I have - a stock box converted to quick ratio with parts from NNN years ago - and to my knowledge, no longer available. Perhaps the Lares box accomplishes the same thing.
GMClassics has one on sale right now butthere is a $150 core charge though.

I'm waiting for an assembly manual to see exactly what's what with the column. Should be here in the next day or so.The box in there now is 4 turns lock to lock. I assumed it is the original box but who knows. Most all of the steering, including ball joints appear to have been the originals. I've replaced all ball joints, springs, shocks and sway bar bushings. Tie rod ends and Idler Arm bearing upgrade are on the list. Everything so far has made an improvement but with the slop in the sector shaft I'm not going to be happy until the box is replaced, or rebuilt, as well.
I'm sure that this is all doable without pulling the engine but how much more difficult is it going to be? Also, I've read several posts where they refer to "plastic tabs" that are easily broken by pulling up on the wheel to separate the shaft from the gear box. I'm not sure where or what these are. Why I need the assembly manual I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts