Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know there aren't any major mods necessary and yeah I can figure it out but it would be nice to have some images and/or measurements (template) of the tunnel modifications needed to fit a TKX into a 67. The vendor I purchased the engine/tranny package from know nothing about specific installation requirements. This is my first project so next time I'll likely do things differently.

Thanks, Mike

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Hood

Hood Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part

·
Registered
614 Posts
If that is the shifter location in the picture you have, it won't come up where it would stock in your car. The stock location has the shifter location offset to the driver side of the tunnel. Like something in the attached picture. Silversport, where I bought my TKX, made a modified offset shifter to the trans to fit that location. Based on yours it will be in the center of the tunnel a little further back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If that is the shifter location in the picture you have, it won't come up where it would stock in your car. The stock location has the shifter location offset to the driver side of the tunnel. Like something in the attached picture. Silversport, where I bought my TKX, made a modified offset shifter to the trans to fit that location. Based on yours it will be in the center of the tunnel a little further back.
Thanks for the photo. That is helpful.

Understood. Had I known, I would not have purchased the engine/tranny as a package from BluePrint but even with the Silversport modification I'm pretty sure I would still be off by an inch because the stock engine position is offset 1" to the passenger side and the TCI front clip centers the engine. Hanlon Motorsports does make an offset shifter for the TKX and will even customize the offset based on my set up. Hope that will place the shifter in the stock position. Should work.

[CORRECTION]
I incorrectly stated engine/tunnel offset above.

I should have said that 67 Novas (maybe others) have the engine and tunnel offset 3/4” to the passenger (right) side from the factory. The TCI front clip centers the engine to the body which moves engine/tranny 3/4” to the driver (left) side.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
594 Posts
Thanks for the photo. That is helpful.

Understood. Had I known, I would not have purchased the engine/tranny as a package from BluePrint but even with the Silversport modification I'm pretty sure I would still be off by an inch because the stock engine position is offset 1" to the passenger side and the TCI front clip centers the engine. Hanlon Motorsports does make an offset shifter for the TKX and will even customize the offset based on my set up. Hope that will place the shifter in the stock position. Should work.

Thanks, Mike
I also have the Tremec from Silversport and the TCI front with an LS3 and I don’t believe the shifter position being one inch to the passenger side would make a whole lot of difference as it looks like the shifter stem can be bolted from either side of the shifter bracket on the trans. I haven’t installed the shifter yet on mine but it looks like in can.
Rob

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Liquid
`

Is the sheet metal piece in the image from Silversport or do you have the dimensions?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I did not like the sheet metal piece from SST and did not use it
I really liked SST for everything else but found that one sheet metal piece to be oddly crappy for the job

in the pic above the sheet metal piece sits flat on top of the tunnel hump that needs to be added if you had a column shift car
If your car was a 4 speed car it should already have that hump added, if it was a floor shift auto car it will have an added hump a but different from the 4 speed one

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not like the sheet metal piece from SST and did not use it
I really liked SST for everything else but found that one sheet metal piece to be oddly crappy for the job

in the pic above the sheet metal piece sits flat on top of the tunnel hump that needs to be added if you had a column shift car
If your car was a 4 speed car it should already have that hump added, if it was a floor shift auto car it will have an added hump a but different from the 4 speed one
Thanks. I'll just make it work. Should be fairly simple. Remove the shifter and set the engine/tranny in place to see what I need to do.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the other thing to watch for is engine/tranny angle
I have CBR front clip, with the 5.3/TKX mocked up and the tranny sitting on support, angle was just over 5 deg
to get it to 3.5 I needed to lift tail of tranny up more and modify tunnel more

the red below shows where tranny was hitting un modified tunnel
this also shows where SST puts the shifter for a 1st gen 66/67 is probably same

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
63 SS 350/TKX/9”
158 Posts
Some pics that might help you?

Wood Fixture Gas Font Door

A internet of a powerglide SS hump that is like my SS
The 66 67 might work better for you as it is more square? or to make your own

Material property Engineering Gun accessory Trigger Machine

It is the dip of the tunnel before the seats that is the main issue.

Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Gas Automotive exterior

My floor with the 700r4 trans and shifter

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Dent I needed for clearance plus took about 1/4" off some of the lag bolts. There was also a smaller dent needed further back on the tunnel or shift hump?

Motor vehicle Gas Helmet Auto part Personal protective equipment

I have a TCI front end so drivetrain is 1" left of stock location.
You can see the STX sticker on the shift plate and the left front shift plate mounting bolt. This is where the foward mount shifter tower would be.

The main thing I would watch and design for would be the trans is hard (impossible in my case) to install with the shift tower in place. My motor would not tilt enough to install the trans. The aluminum tower block had to be removed but it was easy enough to install afterwards. (this could be from the offset shifter tower)

The original TKX tower might not be as easy to remove and replace in car. Just give it some thought during mockup you might need or need a 5"x8" bolt on plate for shift tower access.

It does seem to me in posts I have read that the LS motors seem to be a 1" forward compared to SBC.
This would make it possible that the rear position for the shift tower might work better for you.
This would be the possible differance of using a straight stick or a laid back one?

Also there were two guys on this site that got the stock 66/67 Auto. console to work
with the shifter tower you have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the other thing to watch for is engine/tranny angle
I have CBR front clip, with the 5.3/TKX mocked up and the tranny sitting on support, angle was just over 5 deg
to get it to 3.5 I needed to lift tail of tranny up more and modify tunnel more

the red below shows where tranny was hitting un modified tunnel
this also shows where SST puts the shifter for a 1st gen 66/67 is probably same

View attachment 443333
Great info. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 443336

It is the dip of the tunnel before the seats that is the main issue.

Also there were two guys on this site that got the stock 66/67 Auto. console to work
with the shifter tower you have.
Great comments. Thank you.
The pan shown above is exactly what I have as I did replace the entire floor pan. I can see what you mean.

The manual shift floor cover should help a bit with clearances.

Helmet Bag Bumper Automotive design Rim

·
Premium Member
67 SS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The manual shift cover is not really going to help you much at all with your TREMEC shifter location. Here is a example. There is no way to cover it all up with a shifter boot or maybe a big console.

Tremec TKX issues in 66 (Use SST/CBR kits)
Wow! Silly me!

I'm going to try the Hanlon Motorsport shifter offsets first. If that isn't satisfactory, then I'll send my tranny to get modified or will do whatever is needed.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
63 SS 350/TKX/9”
158 Posts
With out trying to use a factory console 4 speed or 1963/4 auto like mine. If I was going to start over I would use what you have with a shifter possibly laid back and over like a 69 Camaro. I would still use what you have on a custom console. All you you would need is the three inch hole in the tunnel although built up for trans clearances.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Even this does not really allow a shifter boot. The shift tower is above the tunnel like the Nova post above. I talked to a guy I know with a Tko that he has had for a few years the cross bar shifter offset cracked and would not shift properly. Our Novas are not that wide between the seats to need that big offset.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts