Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new bushings pressed into my lower control arms. Everything looks good excpet for one thing. How do you get the control arms back in?

Yje new bushing is awefully wide to fit in between the ears on my subframe. I believe I am supposed to install a washer on each end of the bushing as well.

How do you get all of that in there?

Anyone had the same issues?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Did you press the bushings in? Did you completely support the arm as you did it, making sure to not compress the arms?? If so, then I would start by taking some measurements. Measure the CA mounting surface and the space you have between the two bushings. Measurements dont lie. If you are too large on the bushing measurements by much then they wont fit. Simple. Measurements and numbers will help here... JR

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did press them in. I used a spacer to keep from bending my arms. If I measure the ears on my frame, I get about 2-1/8". The bushings measure just a touch over that. But then the washers that were included with by bushings measure about 0.100" each. I assume they go on either end of the bushing. With that added thickness the bushings will have to be compressed down quite a bit to get it all to fit.

Can anyone tell me if the washers must be used or not?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
If the old bushing was crushed from age, wear, tightening enthusiasm etc. The "box" on the frame may now be just a hair narrow. Big hammer time to open it a little. That is what I had to do. Don't get carried away! Make sure you have good jackstand locations. Also check for nicks etc. A little light filing can help things slip in also.

·
Registered
817 Posts
install

Use a large bolt insde the opening and spread it by loosening the bolt. If you are using stock bushings make sure you have the mentioned washers in place.I would recomend the urethane bushings as a replacement for a stock install with a lockout kit.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yes I did press them in. I used a spacer to keep from bending my arms. If I measure the ears on my frame, I get about 2-1/8". The bushings measure just a touch over that. But then the washers that were included with by bushings measure about 0.100" each. I assume they go on either end of the bushing. With that added thickness the bushings will have to be compressed down quite a bit to get it all to fit.

Can anyone tell me if the washers must be used or not?
Its not so much the bushing material (rubber) you have to measure but the metal sleeve. Cause thats not gonna compress..

So if you have the tools, measure the metal sleeve and if it looks like IT will clear then its just a matter of compressing the rubber to get the arm in. You cant force the sleeve in there if its too long. But all that fat rubber, oh yeah.

Like all the other guys said, force it in there. I only say measure the sleeve first so you know it will clear. Piece of mind when you are using some pressure to wedge that CA around the mounts. JR

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you guys' help. Turns out I did not have them pressed all the way in as I thought. Once I pressed them in further they went in tight, but not too difficult.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
520 Posts
alignment

Let us know if your car stays aligned after you get it put back together. Alot of members have upgraded to a CPP lower control arm kit or a CBR kit to help hold their alignments much better than the factory setups.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
Let us know if your car stays aligned after you get it put back together. Alot of members have upgraded to a CPP lower control arm kit or a CBR kit to help hold their alignments much better than the factory setups.
:yes: :thumbsup: I even used the stock upper arms on my set-up.

Glad you have it worked out Jackson !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts