Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a fight on my hands for as long as I've owned this car. About 15Years ago I replaced bushings,tie rod ends, idler arm,ball joints, ect.. but it never was real good as far as alignment and tire wear goes. I think that I am going to try some poly urathane parts (Lower control arm and strut rod bushings) to try to limit thier amount of movement. Maybe I'm fighting a battle that can't be won? Any thoughts on this, anyone

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I have found the biggest problem with the stock front end is getting someone that knows how to align them correctly.
It took 3 tries on mine.

At one place they got the toe correct, but not the camber. Finally I found a more experienced guy and he showed me the tie rod connectors were bottomed out and he could not set the toe correctly. (result of slight change in steering arm width caused by disc brake spindle upgrade) The other place had just adjusted the camber to work around it. I made some adjustments on the tie rod connectors and it is now all to spec for the radial tires etc. It is running good now.

I did the Idler arm upgrade to solid bearings, boxed the lower arms and poly busings on all but the strut rods. I use the Global West strut rod bushings. Beefier, but still flexible enough to keep the struts from bending.

I have sub frame connectors and a brace for the shock towers. I don't know if I really needed the shock tower brace but I think it is better with it.

I feel sway bars are essential, I like to corner.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
The alignment on my 67 was a nightmare too.The cure to your problems....poly bushings and global west lock out plates(they have a couple other alignment products too).Cured all my alignment problems!!!Check out globalwest.com bm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You brought up a good point, MyChevyII20, using strut rod bushings that are too dense could bend the rods (I hadn't thought of that). What do you think about making a crossmember that would go under the oil pan that links the two lower control pivot points (kinda like a mustang)?? Anyone??

·
Registered
36 Posts
one of my buddy up here in canada did just what you said . he made a cross member that tied the lower control arm's together. told me it works great:canada:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Could you by chance get a picture of that crossmember acadiandude67. I'd like to see how he did it, and maybe do it myself.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Just say Nova said:
I've had a fight on my hands for as long as I've owned this car. About 15Years ago I replaced bushings,tie rod ends, idler arm,ball joints, ect.. but it never was real good as far as alignment and tire wear goes. I think that I am going to try some poly urathane parts (Lower control arm and strut rod bushings) to try to limit thier amount of movement. Maybe I'm fighting a battle that can't be won? Any thoughts on this, anyone
Hey JSN,

For $350 this kit is worth every penny!

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36016

1 - 10 of 10 Posts