Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 2dr Post that I'm fixing up and like many Novas I've seen, both side of the firewall have some rust/rot. I've cut out the bad spots, which are quite large. Before I just use sheet metal and make it look as good as possible, is there anyone out there that sells patch panel for the cowl/firewall area on these cars? Seems like as common as a problem as it is...there would be someone cashing in on this. Haven't had any luck finding them myself..can anyone help? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Common Rusty Area on Firewall??

The footwells always seem to have some rust, but am not aware of any "common" rusty area's on the firewall?!

Can you give some more details?

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rust

At the top of the firewall where the subframe bolts on...on both sides is rusted through..and then again on each side of the car at the bottom of the cowl...I've seen a lot of Novas with rust in these areas. I'm guessing because where water goes down into the cowl vents and doesn't exit...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hmmm..

Maybe a couple pictures??

A very common spot on the front clip is the "valley" where the hood springs retract into (cured by a drill hole), but this is not what you are talking about, right?

You have 3 bolts on the top that bolt the front clip sheet metal to the body (with shims) and you have 4 bolts on the bottom that bolt the actual front clip to "the frame". This area IMO is prone to rusting (again IMO, not because of the cowl, but IMO the windshield wiper holes (located directly above those rusty areas. Also the 2 pedal studs screw into that area, which might lead to moisture too)).

You can buy patch panels for the front floor, but to get the extended foot well, you have to puchase the bigger floor parts. (my delimma about 30 days ago).

Now, if you are refering to the top area, where there are 3 bolts, I have never seen this area rusted out. Now, I'm not saying yours isn't but, at looking at these cars for the last 5 or 6 years (100's !!!), I haven't seen that. If you have pictures, I'd love to see em !!! :)

HTH?!
-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree withTRURACR this is a common spot for them to rust out, I have 4 cars with the same problem. They dont rust from the outside, they rust from the inside out, sometimes you will see a car with the area around the 3 mounting points that looks like it is bulging. It rusts there because there is 3 or 4 layers of sheetmetal there welded together and they were never sealed at the factory. You will be able to fix this area fairly easily, you just have to do it one layer at a time, depending how far back the rust went. It is all flat so it is a piece of cake:D

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I have worked on Two 67's with this Problem.I Plated the Area's with Metal a Little thicker than Original and it Blended in well.Dont know of anyone selling the Patches,but they are easy to make in that area.
Joe

·
Registered
790 Posts
Im doing this exact fix on one of my cars right now.For me,I found some donor parts and cut out the old and will be replacing with the donors.Its easy to find a cheap 4 door car and then you have all the parts you'll need plus a few to sell to recoup your money.Measure twice,cut once.I got lucky and my new pieces fit perfectly.I even made a jig to hold the new pieces in place so when i weld them up they dont move.It will make it alot easier when the clip bolts back on the car.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Can you guys supply some pics, because I am blown away that you all are rusting in the "3 hole area" ?!?!

I believe you all, but seriously if we are all talking about the same spot, I haven't seen this before, and I consider Ohio to be in the rust belt !!

So how is water "sitting" in this area?
I can't see it as an under the hood area issue, as the area is straight up and down and not enough water would sit on top of the "3 hole sheet metal area", so I guess if the cowl vent was really clogged up with leaves and what not, maybe could cause an issue ?!?!

:confused:

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Yeah there is no drainage in that area. I checked for drain holes when I re-did mine, and there were none. I cut out the rust and put new metal, and I made drain holes on each side at the bottom.

CHeers,

Pierre

·
Registered
261 Posts
Brent, send me your email and I can shoot some pics off to you, because I can not post pics on this site. Now is the perfect time because I have the affected area cut out of my car.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You bet !!

I'll PM you now.

Now there are plastic plugs on the side of the cowl (under the fender), but they obviously aren't going to let drainage.

Thanks
Brent Thomas
-Ohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to see I'm not the only one..

Glad to hear other people noticed the same issues. I agree it is a flat area and not really all that hard to patch, but if someone offered a complete ready made panel, it would sure make it easier. I've seen more cars with this problem than I have without it. Brent, if you'll send me an e-mail address I'll send you a couple of pictures that I have of my car. I like the idea of a 4-door donor car. I'll have to keep my eyes out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
TruRacer,
Thanks for the pic.

WOW!!! :eek: :eek:
I have newer seen that area rust out like that. I guess Ohio isn't all that bad of cars after all. :)

Keep us posted on the progress (I love to see Welding progress!!!)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 66 nova that has rust in this area. The area of the firewall behind the fenders is rusted somewhat bad. I was looking for patches myself but this nova will have a full tube frame with the firewall moved back anyhow.

Mike

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I have a 63 and when I removed the fenders, the firewall areas where the fenders were, were heavily coated with sealer of some type looked like bedliner stuff. Was that applied at the factory? Does anyone knows what type of sealer it might have been? I am thinking of doing the same thing when I get the firewall restored. There is no rust at all on the firewall. I think the thick sealer might have had something to do with that. Thanks, Jay

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I'm about ready to take the front clip off my wagon. Would be nice to see those pics so I can get a heads up on what to look for. Mine needs ful floors with the toe boards so I'm expecting more "fun" when the clip comes off.
And thought I'd ask...If any of you still have donor 4 door cars I'm looking for the dog leg section of the right rear door area. I'd need a portion of the rocker panel and inner wheel housing.
Thanks...George

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
haggie

This is both sides where the top of the front clip bolts to extending out to the sides. Actually how is the entire firewall? I am pretty close to you so I could come by and pick it up? Would you happen to have the front clip in good condition? I could use that as well. Is the drivers side toe boards any good?

Funny, 15 years ago Maple was a regular stop :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts