Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1967 nova and am having a devil of a time figuring out how the door locks work.
Could someone explain it to me.

There are no knobs on the top part of the door, they are located down at the bottom near the open door handle. They are button like with the word Open on them.

I know the following:
if I turn the key to the right, the door locks
if I turn the key to the left, the door unlocks

how do I lock the doors when inside the car?
how do I unlock the doors from the inside?
how do I lock the doors from the outside without using the key (i.e. drive somewhere and be able to just get out of the car and shut the door and have the doors lock)?

Sorry for the "dumb" questions, but this is my first 'classic' car, and am just getting the hang of everything. Not sure if anything is broken on the door panels or not. Locking mechanisms seem to work a lot different in the older cars than in the newer ones.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Answers lie within (at least some do...) I'll try to scan the page out of the owner's manual later.

I bought a 1967 nova and am having a devil of a time figuring out how the door locks work.
Could someone explain it to me.

There are no knobs on the top part of the door, they are located down at the bottom near the open door handle. They are button like with the word Open on them.

I know the following:
if I turn the key to the right, the door locks
if I turn the key to the left, the door unlocks

how do I lock the doors when inside the car?
Push the door handle down

how do I unlock the doors from the inside?
Turn the lock knob to unlock

how do I lock the doors from the outside without using the key (i.e. drive somewhere and be able to just get out of the car and shut the door and have the doors lock)?
I don't think you can, at least haven't figured it out

Sorry for the "dumb" questions, but this is my first 'classic' car, and am just getting the hang of everything. Not sure if anything is broken on the door panels or not. Locking mechanisms seem to work a lot different in the older cars than in the newer ones.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I don't think you can, at least haven't figured it out

Open the door...push door handle down...get out...shut door!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts