Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: Jacked up the front of my Nova and I noticed that both front wheels don't spin very freely. It looks like the original drum brakes were replaced with GM calipers and rotors. (Aftermarket Kit???) The rotors look 100% new as do the pads, but the breaks squeal alot and they are glazed over. I had a heck of a time just removing them because they are so tight on the rotors. I have no idea what they came off of except I know the calipers have Delco Moraine stamped on them. The calipers are not stuck, they fully retract. Should I just turn the rotors down a little????? Any suggestions????
Thanks, John

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Just a thought; check the adjuster rod between the pedal and m/c.... there should be some amount of "play". If it's adjusted too tight it could cause a problem.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
You don't happen to have any type of a residual valve in the brake circuit, do you?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Also make sure you buy the good grade pads. I bought an aftermarket disc brake kit, but the pads squeeked. I bought commercial or top grade pads, no more squeek.

I did have a set of replacement pads that didn't fit my stock rotor on my truck once. It didn't need turning, but the new pads had .04 thicker material than stock. Maybe a quality control problem.

As a rule I turn new rotors anyway, just barely enough to make sure they are running true and have not been warped by handling errors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts