Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Look at the last two pictures of the vin and cowl tag rivets. Wonder what the hidden vin on this car says. Car is pretty roached out for the money it is already bid to.

·
13,083 Posts
Yes, both the cowl tag and VIN plate have been off this car. Looks like the same kind of incorrect rivets used to put them both back on. Car was born a V/8 sport coupe and was originally Mist Blue with Light Fawn interior. I'm guessing it was a 3 on the tree. Current steering column is red. I agree a look at the hidden VIN would be in order.

Bob

·
Vendor
1,400 Posts
Look like pop-rivets that have been staked. That thing is rough to boot.

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Good looking out. Funny how there's a hole where the hump ought to be. There could be some other telltale clues of a 4-speed, but the absence of the indicators for either 4-speed or PG scream 3-speed.

And we're still looking at it bid to $3900! I just don't get it. The car needs absolutely everything, including renting a certified welder to live with you for about 6 months. Here's another example of how buying one in finished or near finished condition, if it's built close to the way you want, would be much better than the mountain this new owner will have to climb.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Good looking out. Funny how there's a hole where the hump ought to be. There could be some other telltale clues of a 4-speed, but the absence of the indicators for either 4-speed or PG scream 3-speed.

And we're still looking at it bid to $3900! I just don't get it. The car needs absolutely everything, including renting a certified welder to live with you for about 6 months. Here's another example of how buying one in finished or near finished condition, if it's built close to the way you want, would be much better than the mountain this new owner will have to climb.
Car must have had a Ram Rod or a Vertigate due to the size of the hole in floor. Huge!

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
13,083 Posts
Not cowl tag coded as an original 4 speed. PG was not coded on sport coupes, because it didn't require any work by Fisher Body to make it happen. This would make the car an original 3 speed manual on the column. Doesn't really matter at this point give the condition of the car.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need to buy the "Chevrolet By The Numbers" book to help you decode the VIN, Cowl Tag and major engine, transmission and rear end part numbers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On a side note, I'd not buy a hobby car at this time. The over-priced market for project cars is going to adjust significantly as the US economy tumbles. Unemployment statistics are due to come out on Thursday and they are sure to be staggering.

·
Registered
521 Posts
On a side note, I'd not buy a hobby car at this time. The over-priced market for project cars is going to adjust significantly as the US economy tumbles. Unemployment statistics are due to come out on Thursday and they are sure to be staggering.
The key here is hobby. If you can afford the hobby now then buy one, if not don't buy one. This isn't one size fits all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You missed the point. Look at the '66 in question. Do you really think that car is worth $4,000+? I don't.
If the economy shrinks for a while, as unfortunately expected, the cost of cars like that will come down to earth.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I didnt miss the point, you were giving your opinion and I gave mine. The car in question is garbage and no one is going to pay that. My point was this is a hobby, guys buy what they can afford at any given time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dow was up 2,112 today, maybe a sign we've hit the bottom. My glass is half full. Time will tell. I've never really tracked the price of cars to the market. I've always found good deals out there. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dow was up 2,112 today, maybe a sign we've hit the bottom. My glass is half full. Time will tell. I've never really tracked the price of cars to the market. I've always found good deals out there. Just my 2c.
Same glass half full. I get what Alf is saying, especially if your source of project cars is ebay or marketplace. I don't feel like I have ever paid too much for a project car, regardless of the economy because I never really look on ebay or marketplace for deals. My 2 cents is that the wealthy are getting more wealthy in this roller coaster Dow Jones and they will keep buying and selling cars. Will the muscle car market take a dive? Maybe. Maybe not. I will keep sourcing good deals on cars.

·
Registered
578 Posts
An example of what I was talking about would be the red hot C10 Chevy truck phenomenon. As Freiburger says, "I'm not paying $10,000 for your gardener's $600 truck". As stated, I share that sentiment.
A very small positive effect of this very negative virus situation COULD BE an adjustment to to the inflated values of the project car inventory which would be a small break for those of us that rebuild cars.
I'm not saying the value of Nova's will sag at the same rate as my 401K but short-term economic change will be across the board.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I dont disagree with most of it. Probably only part I would tend to disagree with is the perception of inflated project car values. I buy them often and if you know where to look they are not inflated. A car is worth what someone will pay for it, not what they are asking for it. I too rebuild cars and the best deals are the project cars, especially ones that a guy got into and cant finish

·
13,083 Posts
I think the current environment will put us in uncharted territory when it comes to any classic car buying and selling. The last economic crisis was caused by financially based influences. This crisis is both economic and financial, caused by a 3rd influence, an influence we have never experienced before and with an unknown end date. In the 2008 melt down, car dealers were still open, car auctions were still happening and people weren't afraid that the car they planned to test drive was full of coronavirus germs. Things in our hobby have already changed and may, or may not, be the same when this whole thing is finished. I think we have to ride it out and see how everything settles when it's over. JMO.

Bob

·
Registered
578 Posts
Bob, I agree and my insight is no more special than anyone else's.......we just have to wait and see.
EM3, I don't know your method of procuring reasonably priced project cars but what I do is look for cars that have been sitting in driveways for a long period of time and I knock on the door. Generally the wife is very motivated to get rid of the rusty, leaking hulk.
A friend of mine that fixes and flips a lot of cars has friends that are UPS drivers. They know every wreck in every driveway. My friend takes it from there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts