Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for any advice, or tips on installing windshield. purchased new windshield, gasket and trim. Upper trim and upper corners not seating well in gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
look inside the gasket and see if the channel extends far enough. mine did not, plus the bottom L-part was not even cut into it near the corners, it just stopped an inch shy.

it also had rubber flashing pieces (from during production i guess where it releases from the mold?) that were in the way in the channel, had to slide those.

remember the trim has to go into the channel before it goes onto the car or you're hosed; even think it goes in before you put the gasket on the window, if memory serves.

basically, check the channels the trim fits in and ensure it does not bind and goes in far enough to seat. you will probably need to extend them by slicing with a sharp pocket knife. just be careful of your fingers and anyone else's helping you!

good luck!

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
One other thing to look at. On my '62 (different car but same type of channel) the place on the channel where it's spot welded together to make the shape of the channel not only had some burrs, but had a few bends in it. That made a difference getting the corners to fit right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look inside the gasket and see if the channel extends far enough. mine did not, plus the bottom L-part was not even cut into it near the corners, it just stopped an inch shy.

it also had rubber flashing pieces (from during production i guess where it releases from the mold?) that were in the way in the channel, had to slide those.

remember the trim has to go into the channel before it goes onto the car or you're hosed; even think it goes in before you put the gasket on the window, if memory serves.

basically, check the channels the trim fits in and ensure it does not bind and goes in far enough to seat. you will probably need to extend them by slicing with a sharp pocket knife. just be careful of your fingers and anyone else's helping you!

good luck!

-Rusty
thanks for the tip. I will look at all of what you mentioned. Hoping i can get it out without damaging anything. I forgot to mention that the gasket does not seal against face of glass on sides, could be gasket is not in proper position on window frame. it looks right on inside. Also all of the parts were from classic industries, oer. I dont know if other brands might be better. guess i should have done some research first. thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

good luck!

-Rusty
thanks for the tip. I will look at all of what you mentioned. Hoping i can get it out without damaging anything. I forgot to mention that the gasket does not seal against face of glass on sides, could be gasket is not in proper position on window frame. it looks right on inside. Also all of the parts were from classic industries, oer. I dont know if other brands might be better. guess i should have done some research first. thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other thing to look at. On my '62 (different car but same type of channel) the place on the channel where it's spot welded together to make the shape of the channel not only had some burrs, but had a few bends in it. That made a difference getting the corners to fit right.
windshield, gasket and trim from classic industries. OER. hoping I can get it out without damage to look at these possible issues. do you know if i might get better results with a different brand of gasket? thanks for the help!

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
The combo of reproduction glass, rubber seal and stainless trim almost always have fitment issues. The overseas repop windshields tend to be smaller than original, either in total size, thickness or both. For glass the best thing to do is find a reputable, local glass shop that deals in North American made glass for older cars. It is not going to be cheap, but normally there are not fitment issues.

The rubber seals vary wildly in quality, even within the same brand. Bad corners and the trim not sitting flat is the normal complaint. Classic was selling Precision for many applications, but I think that has been phased out with the Chevy IIs. If it came in the OER packaging they may be producing it now (or re-boxing).

We have never had issues with Precision and have used it on Trucks, Chevelles and of course Chevy IIs. I heard my first complaint recently about corner fitment, but details were sparse. Steele is the other popular option - Windshield Seal - Car Restoration | Steele Rubber Products

The repop window stainless is of suspect quality. The complaint is it's too thin and can easily be deformed. Add to that issues with it fitting in the rubber seal (the seal's fault), and you have a scenario where the trim gets damaged on install. Pretty common scenario unfortunately :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
mine is a Precision gasket. it is not long enough and did not fit the glass in the corners when on the car, possibly due to the original trim puckering it due to channel fitment issue. i had to load up on the 3M bedding/glazing compound in those areas--i think it is sealed, but have yet to wash it.

when checked against the old gasket, it was shorter. and, of course, the channel for the trim was cut proper and to length, plus no leftover flashing in the trim channel on the original, obviously. it is these nuances missed in the reproduction pieces that create the issues. tough to imagine a money issue the way most folks claim "cheap overseas parts" because some parts are made in USA (looking at you, Repops brand window felts). while something is better than nothing, if already there to create the part, why not just make it correctly? that logic escapes me. would one extra inch of slicing--after already cutting ~10 feet of channel--to extend the channel really add that much to production costs? unless it's molded, but even then have to assume prototypes are made, then comes the final, so there was opportunity to fix it. would love to hear any comments from rubber part Mfg folks to learn about it.

with all the comments read on the site, SouthBays2s you must have gotten the "golden lot" of window gaskets! btw, always appreciate you taking time to provide well written, informative responses.

hopefully, john fuhrman, you can make it work, or maybe try another brand.

-Rusty

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
...with all the comments read on the site, SouthBays2s you must have gotten the "golden lot" of window gaskets! btw,

-Rusty
I acquired a decent supply of Precision seals that had been produced in years past. I think I only have a few left. The feedback here does make me concerned though, as I do have a handful of newer front and rear glass Precision seals on the shelf. I will need to give them a look. As you have seen me post before, this stuff is made in batches. Sounds like we have a bad batch on our hands. Steele is probably the best option right now then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine is a Precision gasket. it is not long enough and did not fit the glass in the corners when on the car, possibly due to the original trim puckering it due to channel fitment issue. i had to load up on the 3M bedding/glazing compound in those areas--i think it is sealed, but have yet to wash it.

when checked against the old gasket, it was shorter. and, of course, the channel for the trim was cut proper and to length, plus no leftover flashing in the trim channel on the original, obviously. it is these nuances missed in the reproduction pieces that create the issues. tough to imagine a money issue the way most folks claim "cheap overseas parts" because some parts are made in USA (looking at you, Repops brand window felts). while something is better than nothing, if already there to create the part, why not just make it correctly? that logic escapes me. would one extra inch of slicingr--after already cutting ~10 feet of channel--to extend the channel really add that much to production costs? unless it's molded, but even then have to assume prototypes are made, then comes the final, so there was opportunity to fix it. would love to hear any comments from rubber part Mfg folks to learn about it.

with all the comments read on the site, SouthBays2s you must have gotten the "golden lot" of window gaskets! btw, always appreciate you taking time to provide well written, informative responses.

hopefully, john fuhrman, you can make it work, or maybe try another brand.

-Rusty
[/Q

Hi Rusty, one thing I noticed when i put the gasket on the windshield there was extra gasket. knowing something didn't seem right, but continued and installed the trim and window in the car. With the window in the car noticed that the sides did not go into the gasket all the way.I can see the edge of the glass in the gasket. From what I'm reading looks like I have a windshield that was made overseas which may be slightly smaller. Explains the extra gasket. OER is advertised as to be exact fit. Doubt if I will get any results but I will call and complain. These parts are suppose to fit properly! End of rant. LOL. Not sure what to do at this point. If I try another brand of gasket but use same windshield, if it is to small, may have different problems.

thanks again for the info.
-John

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used Steele Rubber, I was very impressed with fit,especially the corners. Steele door rubbers however sucked,
I had to use Metro on the doors. They were the only one with the inserts for the hole to reduce the hole size so the clips fit properly. (It's an early 63) Not a fan of Soffseal cheap quality tears easily and no inserts. I have a pair if anyone needs a set.
Cheap make an offer!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did my first Nova windshield recently on my 66. I used an aftermarket windshield, Steele seal and stock moldings. Installation went without a hitch!

Keith C.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts