Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you guys discussed the 62-67 Hardtop vent window? Could someone tell me what the reproduction vent window rubber fits like.

Has anybody replaced the pivot rivets? Is there a special tool? :confused: :confused: Help needed:( Iam working on my 66 and trying to decide if I want to replace the rubber. One of the rivets is broke. Thanks

·
Banned
389 Posts
Vent Window frames

66nogo2 said:
Have you guys discussed the 62-67 Hardtop vent window? Could someone tell me what the reproduction vent window rubber fits like.

Has anybody replaced the pivot rivets? Is there a special tool? :confused: :confused: Help needed:( Iam working on my 66 and trying to decide if I want to replace the rubber. One of the rivets is broke. Thanks
I'd like to hear what the answer is too. Or is the repop vent frames the solution.

N

·
0 Posts
First off do not drill out the outside stainless rivet!! , When you remove the top potmetal molding , the lower mounting bolt behind the door panel , and the philips head screw above the door panel , the whole thing will pull out of the door with a little effort . You will then notice there are two rivets that retain the hinge to the frame . Grind the heads off , and push them out , them remove the screw at the top of the frame and then the nut and spring from the bottom and the frame , and its apart . To remove the glass from the frame for replacement or reseal use a propane torch to slightly heat the metal frame to soften the seal and the window will come out . It is also a good time to polish the stainless on the frame that will just slide out on on the inside , and snap out on the outside . The hinge bracket rivets that were ground off can be replaced by stainless pop rivets and will be hidden under the new seal. C20 also sells new channels that the window slides in which will make the whole job look like new . Frank

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I just finished replacing my vent windows and if you have access there is a good article on this in the March 96 NNN. I can't post the article bc I don't have a scanner. But it isn't that hard, just take your time when you are pulling the glass out of the frame. I have learned that the harder it is to break the glass free means that there is more rust down in the frame. I have found that if you take a stiff wire and push it down the length of the vent frame helps to break the thing loose -- but it will still take away bc you have to be careful not to chip the glass.

if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank that is great info!
1. Here is my problem the Stainless Rivet is Broken. I purchased new stainless rivets from C2O. Do you know the best way to install them?

2. Have you ever used the Reproduction Weather Strip the vent glass seals against when closed? The original rubber weather strip has small hairl line cracks that can be seen when the vent window is open, thought about just using something to fill in the small cracks like the sealer used to install late model windshields if the reproduction Wheather Strip is crap.

3.Has anybody ever tried to fix original rubber weather striping for the vent windows with something that will stick to the rubber and fill in the small hairline cracks?

Thanks You guys for the info!:beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts