Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 SS. Finished rebuilding my vent widows, ( clean, paint frames, installed new
seals, new channel fuzzy, rivets, etc..etc..

Here is the issue. After installing the vent glass into the frame, the glass, when closing and locking the vent window lever, seems to be pinching rearward at the top, ( rear vertical surface ) , against the new seal. In other words, it's not parallel enough to clear the lip of the seal. The main seal was a little difficult to
install into the channel of the frame, but using a little soapy water, managed to get it in there with a good solid fit. Pulled the seal towards the sharp angled lower part of the frame, where the seal is thickest, and got a decent fit into the channel.

The frames have some flex to them for sure, but there were straight before and after rebuild. After kind of working the seal around a bit, managed to get the glass to barely clear the vertical seal lip. Then went ahead and mounted the vent window molding. This is the heavy chromed piece that mount to the door, and screws into the long angled part of the vent window frame.

Upon installing the molding, and tightening, the rear top of the vent glass was now even less parallel with the vertical seal, and was not seating or closing properly. So, the glass is now hanging farther over the vertical seal. And yes, the seals are in the correct orientation, and on the correct vent, i.e. left on left right on right. I don't think that I want to or can, tweak the hinge where the rivet is installed, to change the angle, as the threaded rod on the bottom of the
lower glass trim does not have any free movement inside the frame.

I know that many of these types of issues are "mess with them until they work"
type scenarios, but this one I can't really see what can be done to improve the fit.

I realize that the the seals are new and may take some time to "break in", but, the amount that the window is overhanging, I don't think that time and use will improve the fit. And I also don't think that the seals are causing it.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Not an expert but I have done these with good results. My glass guy told me to use motor oil on the glass and the tape type seal . it works better than soap to get the glass into the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. It is actually the seal that goes into vent window frame, not the one you mentioned. I think I did figure it out after making a couple calls. Looks like the seal is too fat, and not allowing it to fit into the frame molding. That's what was causing the frame to flex excessively and push the glass out of alignment when the screw are installed and tightened.

I know from many of the posts here, that many of the repro seals can be ill fitting or simply oversized, which seems to be the case here. I was told by Rudy at Modern performance classics that the ones made by OER were the proper thickness. I think I will try a set.

Thanks again for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts