Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 chevy II Nova
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies in advance, I am sure there is a thread on this, however I could not locate it. Can some one tell me how to remove the chrome that is at the top of the door on a 66 hard top. I removed a screw on the deteriorated door fuzzy and was able to remove that. now I cant figure it out and don't want to mess it up. any help would be greatly appreciated :eek:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
welcome to the nova site. i checked your garage the car dont look too bad at all. you'll like that 327 when you get on the road. thats the engine i have in my 66. someone in here will know how to remove that trim piece.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, Pontiac powered; 68 &75 Firebirds
431 Posts
Trim

Hi. Welcome to the site. I don't have an answer either, but I am also interested as I will have to do this shortly.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
I'm not sure the '65 is the same as the '66 but there is some similarities in the reveal and window mechanisms. On the '65 there is a screw on the inside of the front of the door that holds the reveal molding on. It's located behind the vent window mechanism so it would appear that you'll have to loosen the door window stop clip, roll down the door window and also remove the vent window to access the screw. The following link might be of some help.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656665&highlight=reveal+molding

I happen to have found a copy of the '66 Chevrolet fisher manual that just might have something in it that you can use. I've only skimmed thru the manual. If you will PM me with your email address, I'll try to send it to you. The size of the file is 37mb.

Also found this: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/FisherBody/1966/index.html

Another source for same manual http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/FisherBody/1966/index.html

·
Registered
1966 chevy II Nova
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am deep into the tear down and stumped at the dang chrome piece. I have had a few Gen II's many many years ago, but never took this piece off.

Riverboatman, I will check out the links, PM you with email, and report Back to everyone with my progress. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
In addition to the screws that need to be removed there are three clips on the reveal molding that are pressed into slots on the very top of the door. Over many years of taking 62 - 67 Nova's apart, the only way to get to these clips is by either removing the door glass completely or taking it off the tracks and lowering it to the bottom of the door. That will give you access to those three small clips at the very top of the door. Get your hand through the openings in the door and push your fingers to the top of the door and starting from the back of the door moving forward you will feel the molding clamp. With two fingers, pinch the clip together so it releases the tension in the slop and push the clip up ever so slightly so it doesn't relock itself. Once you have all three clips out of the slot, just pull the molding with clips off the top of the door. With the reveal molding out of the door, you will have better access to the door fuzzies. One of the fuzzies is attached to the reveal molding and the other is attached to the door. Be sure not to loose those reveal molding clips. I do not believe anyone reproduces them. :no:

Good luck,
Chuck

·
Registered
1966 chevy II Nova
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get my hands up in the door and feel those clips Chuck was talking about. That is about as far as I got. Looking to tackle that later this week...

·
Registered
6 Posts
ChevyIIOnly carries the clips. Just purchased some. Part # 81004

In addition to the screws that need to be removed there are three clips on the reveal molding that are pressed into slots on the very top of the door. Over many years of taking 62 - 67 Nova's apart, the only way to get to these clips is by either removing the door glass completely or taking it off the tracks and lowering it to the bottom of the door. That will give you access to those three small clips at the very top of the door. Get your hand through the openings in the door and push your fingers to the top of the door and starting from the back of the door moving forward you will feel the molding clamp. With two fingers, pinch the clip together so it releases the tension in the slop and push the clip up ever so slightly so it doesn't relock itself. Once you have all three clips out of the slot, just pull the molding with clips off the top of the door. With the reveal molding out of the door, you will have better access to the door fuzzies. One of the fuzzies is attached to the reveal molding and the other is attached to the door. Be sure not to loose those reveal molding clips. I do not believe anyone reproduces them. :no:

Good luck,
Chuck

ChevyIIOnly carries the clips. Just purchased some. Part # 81004

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cobras41, are you talking about the trim arount the rain gutter at the top edge of the roof? Or the chrome trim around the bottom of the quarter window of the passenger seat area?

·
Registered
1966 chevy II Nova
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again, I am talking about the chrome that runs along the top of the door, not the gutter.

I do have some follow up on my progress. I was able to remove the chrome with out damage. here is how I did it.

I first removed the Screw at the end of the door that holds the fuzzy and removed the fuzzy by sliding it sideways. I then took the screws out of the top of the vent window, removed the bolts at the front of the door that hold the vent window, I also removed the long screw on the inside of the door that also holds the vent window and a bolt that is lower on the door (not sure that one needed to come out) I jimmied it around and pulled it out.

I then removed the other screw that was reviled in the process. I rolled the window all the way up and was able to reach the three clips that hold the chrome tight to the door. with a bit of awkward finesse and a flat screw driver to help depress the clips inside the door I was able to remove it with out any damage.

Thank you for the help. hope this helps others. If time permits, I may try and video the process on the drivers door. :D

·
13,723 Posts
Cobras41, are you talking about the trim arount the rain gutter at the top edge of the roof? Or the chrome trim around the bottom of the quarter window of the passenger seat area?
This trim is called the reveal moulding. It's stainless steel and runs along the top of the door at the bottom of the window.

B.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts