Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this car about a year now and finally got it running. Several owners ago it was a drag car so it has a full cage, mini tubs, and gas tank/battery in the trunk. My goal is to turn it in to a cruiser.

It has a SBC 350 in it with a mild cam in front of a 700r4 going to a Ford 9 inch with 3.86 gears. It has ladder bars in the back with CBRs up front and Viking coilovers.

Next to do is paint and body. The body is in decent shape, with only a little rust on the c pillars, drivers side door and below the rear window.

Photos to come as soon as I'm able to upload them.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys just giving a quick update to where I'm at in the project. I finished up getting the CBR front installed and the disc brakes working. Got the car aligned with the drop and its sitting pretty well.
After searching for a decent body shop in the area, I decided I really wanted to do the work myself...just needed a booth to paint in. I found a place that would help me out along the way and teach me how to do the work..plus I get to use their booth! I'll be making progress on it each week until its done. The first day was tear down (pics attached). Tomorrow I'll be taking out the glass, doing some sanding and hopefully some metal work.

I'm thinking about painting it a dark tan or the stealth blue metallic that GM uses but would appreciate some input.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm slowly making progress on the restoration, but at the moment I got both the windows out, blocked the whole thing, and finished all the rust remediation required. Luckily there wasn't too much rust and only had some on the bottom of the driver's door, the corners of the windshield, and one corner on the back glass. With the glass out, I was able to sand down the poorly painted dash and close the holes. Tomorrow I'll finish re-taping and spraying on the sprayable body filler and re-block the whole thing before paint. I'll have some extra time to work on it next week so hopefully the progress will come a little faster.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
you have that 66 coming your way now. for color i like that dark blue that looks like an electrical arc. an another color is that black cherry. just wonder if your going to run that big tach on the dash, might be in your way for street driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for the support. That blue 67 looks really clean. The color I'm currently thinking of using is GMs Siren Red and putting that removable black paint on the bumpers, headlight bezels, taillights, and mirrors. Possibly doing a black vinyl on the hood too. Looking for a 2 inch cowl hood at the moment. The interior is a matte black.

I'd really like to change some of the chrome pieces to black but can't tell if I should be doing them all or not. If you guys have some insight I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the support. That blue 67 looks really clean. The color I'm currently thinking of using is GMs Siren Red and putting that removable black paint on the bumpers, headlight bezels, taillights, and mirrors. Possibly doing a black vinyl on the hood too. Looking for a 2 inch cowl hood at the moment. The interior is a matte black.

I'd really like to change some of the chrome pieces to black but can't tell if I should be doing them all or not. If you guys have some insight I'd appreciate it.
If your going to do any of the chrome in black, I'd do it all.
What are you doing for wheels? Are they going to be black to?
I did the bumpers, headlight bezel's, grill, mirrors, door handles, locks, tail lights, and window trim in SEM trim black on my 66. As soon as the weather warms up, my new wheels also will be getting the centers sprayed in the same black. It's a matte or satin finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your going to do any of the chrome in black, I'd do it all.
What are you doing for wheels? Are they going to be black to?
I did the bumpers, headlight bezel's, grill, mirrors, door handles, locks, tail lights, and window trim in SEM trim black on my 66. As soon as the weather warms up, my new wheels also will be getting the centers sprayed in the same black. It's a matte or satin finish.
Aaronb thanks for the advice. I agree in doing all or nothing but having a hard time committing in case I mess up painting the trim and want to go back to chrome. How are your door knobs holding up to the wear on them? Did you have any pitting on them or other parts and if so how did you deal with that? How did you paint the mirrors near the rotating ball? I see your car in your icon but can't find any photos on your member page...it looks like a close color that I'm going for. If you don't mind posting some pics on this thread it would definitely be appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I didn't start a build thread here on it.
I did start one over on Chevy truck site I'm also a member at.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/my-66-chevy-ii.40427/ bought the car in November of 2017. Drove for a month on nice days then started body work and fixing little things.
So far it's holding up good I've put maybe 400 miles on it since it was painted at the end of August last year.
The chrome was in decent shape before paint. I scuffed everything up pretty good with 80 grit sandpaper hit it with etching primer, filler primer then paint.
Paint color is for a Fiat. They call it a mandarine Orange. It was sprayed over a black sealer.
Then it got a couple coats of vintage flatz clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aaronb that car looks awesome. Its close to what I'm shooting for, but I'm going for a glossy finish. Nothing against a flat matte finish, but I've had this car sanded down for so long I'm dying for something shiny. Right now I have black steelies on it, but I'm not sure what wheels I'll have in the near future (either aluminum, black, or gunmetal). Thanks for posting and helping me out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks, and no problem. Can't wait to see what yours will look like.
The only thing I hate about the matte finish is that it needs to be cleaned a lot. It's filthy in those
last set of pics I posted. Its like a magnet for dust and dirt.
As for plasti dip or the removable paint. Try it out. The thing with It, is to get as many coats on it as you can so when use decide to remove it. It will be a lot easier to remove. My friend that sprayed my car use to plasti dip cars, trucks when the plasti dip craze started years back.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
You did the same thing I did with the headlight bezels, grille and the rear tail lights. what front bumper did you use and what kind of LED's for the turn signals?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You did the same thing I did with the headlight bezels, grille and the rear tail lights. what front bumper did you use and what kind of LED's for the turn signals?

If you are asking me?
The front bumper is the stock one. We just welded in some plate in the openings and shaved the heads off the bolts.
The turn signals I used are united Pacific 12" leds. I Got them from Summit racing. They were $15 a piece. How they are mounted. I grabbed some aluminum L brackets from home depot. Cut them down and drilled holes for the lights to shine and mounted them to the bottom of the grill.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-37499b/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts