Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one have a picture of a Correct trunk trim for a 1966 nova sport coupe. a guy i met at a summer car show has one he wants to sell, i've never seen it for condition, he says its nice. i'm thinking he wants 200.00 but i'd like to get it a bit cheaper. any thoughts on prices. i saw one out on ebay but wasn't sure it was a 66 sport coupe trunk trim as it was listed as 66-67 trunk trim.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Vanovafan. thanks for the 66 SS trunk trim though. wasn't there a different trim for just the 2 dr. hardtop sport coupe ?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay..... thanks bob an vanovafan. i thought i might be going nuts for a bit there. when you said same as vanovafan posted. he did change from the first pics. but a big thank you to both of you as now i'll be sure what i'm going to look at tomorrow. i'll post how the sale goes.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
A word of caution, people often grossly over-state the condition of trim like this. "Nice" would be very little pitting (especially in the ribs), no cracks, all studs present, chrome still has luster. A good polish and on the car it goes. $200 is a good price for a "nice" one.

These diecasts are very expensive to properly re-plate. If there are a lot of pits in the ribs and other tight areas, usually they are not worth re-plating or the end result is not worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
south.... i'm hoping for the best of condition.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got to look at this trim yesterday. well the word nice i guess it was close to the condition. there is no pits in the ribs but there is some pimples in the chrome and the painted areas do need a total repaint. so with some polishing an repaint it will pretty good. also all posts are perfect with the rubber seals an speed nuts are on the trim. so 145. bucks i feel it was a fair price.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rusty63... you got me looking at those seals closer. just a guess but they look like leather. i guess they would go to the inside surface of the truck an then the speed nut. an the speed nuts have what is like a fender washer an nut as one piece.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
The little rubber seals go around the studs and seal up the holes to prevent water getting to the inside. You can use dumdum (strip caulking) as well.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i never thought of a water seal to keep the trunk dry. i've been hand polishing on this for the last 3 hours with Happich simichrome polish made in germany. woow does this trim ever shine nicely. i'm trying to imagine the guys back in 66 that made this trim, what a work of auto art. thanks for the dum-dum type, but this will never go on my 66. its garage wall art. should i have said that ??

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i imagine back in maybe 67-68 you could buy one of these trunk trims from the dealer parts dept. for under 40.00 bucks.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i've got another question about these trunk trim pieces. the pictures that are posted in # 2, 3, an 5 are of a 66 sport coupe trunk trim. so what do the 62-65 sport coupe trunk trim look like. i'm not sure about 62 trim.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so the 1st gen chevy ll sport coups don't have a trunk trim like the 2nd. gen sport coupe does ? i'm talking sport coupe not the SS model.

·
13,695 Posts
so the 1st gen chevy ll sport coups don't have a trunk trim like the 2nd. gen sport coupe does ? i'm talking sport coupe not the SS model.
The 1st generation sport coupe trunk trim was different every year and bears no resemblance whatsoever to 2nd generation. Go to the Originality sub forum and look at the showroom brochures for each year to see pictures.

Bob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks bob...... i found the pictures i was looking for in the brochures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts