Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding a 327 engine and plan to go with a 700R instead of the th350 it currently has. Can I install that transmission from below once the engine is in or is that something that needs to go together first and drop in as one unit? I only ask because of how difficult it was removing the 350 top bell housing bolts from underneath. I ended up removing the intake for another reason and loosen the top bellhousing bolts from the top.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
1,263 Posts
It can be done. Trans jack helps considerably. But if you have the engine out, its much easier to install eng & trans as a unit.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I am currently rebuilding a 327 engine and plan to go with a 700R instead of the th350 it currently has. Can I install that transmission from below once the engine is in or is that something that needs to go together first and drop in as one unit? I only ask because of how difficult it was removing the 350 top bell housing bolts from underneath. I ended up removing the intake for another reason and loosen the top bellhousing bolts from the top.
i can't help on the install but i do have a 327 an a 700r4 in my 66. for a rear gear i run a 3.55 posi. sure is easy on the rpm's on the highway as 70 mph = 2200 rpm's.
this might be of interest to you........... Gearing Calculator | RPM and Tire Diameter to km/h - mph with Shift Tracer (blocklayer.com)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you can bench press 100+ pounds and hold for an indefinite amount of time and repeat as necessary:mad:, install separately, otherwise ALWAYS install engine and trans as an assembly. Esp automatics!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The only way I'd try at my age is if it was on a lift. I have done several from the ground in my younger days but that is over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts