Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has a picture of a 66 crossmember? Is a auto crossmember the same as a 4 speed?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a pick of the one I have. The reason I am asking is the car has a vibration. and I saw that the crossmember is less than a 8th or 16th of an in away from the lip of the crossmember.

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
Factory 4-speed a little different, but you could use either. '62-'67 crossmembers all fit a PG, 3-speed or 4-speed.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Factory four speed is different the front edge is rolled. I will dig up a picture.
This a factory four speed cross member

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for pics and information. I was told I could grind the edge down 1/4 in will give me a little space without sacrificing the integrity of the crossmember.

Again thanks for the support.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I shim the mount to the transmission it moves the crossmember down which gives me the clearance I am looking for, but it throws the crossmember out of alignment to the position you are able to bolt it to the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
You can grind it some to make work if needed..allot of 4 speeders have done that over the years.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Learn something new every day. I'm gathering the parts to install a 4 speed in my chevy ii. Didn't know there was a different cross member for the 4 speed manual. What exactly interferes if you try to use a non 4 speed cross member?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing really interferes just super close.While I was trying to track down a vibration I noticed that the front of the cross member was roughly around 1/8in from the transmission. Thinking this was the problem I trimmed the cross member back 1/4in . Sorry to say this didn't solve the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts