Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a L79 and was wondering what is the biggest tire that will fit on the rear?
Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi
When we first got our 66 it wwas running 26x8x15 M/T drag on a 8 inch rim with 4.5" backspacing. I don't think I could have got anymore tire on it in stock form. Over the winter I moved the springs inboard and split fender wells and widened them about 2". Now we run a 10.5x18x15 M/T drag slick on a 10 inch rim with 6.5 backspacing.
I think that is about the limit width wise, you might be able to go with a taller tire, without a frame notch or backhalf. Just my opinion and what has worked for me.
Craig

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
There's only about 11" of usable room in the wheel well of a 66/67. With proper wheel backspacing, you can get right around 10" of section width on a tire to fit back there, and leave decent clearance on either side of the tire.

This assumes that the rear on your car is relatively centered. Many of them aren't and this causes problems when you try to squeeze up against the limits of tire size on these pigs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There's only about 11" of usable room in the wheel well of a 66/67. With proper wheel backspacing, you can get right around 10" of section width on a tire to fit back there, and leave decent clearance on either side of the tire.

This assumes that the rear on your car is relatively centered. Many of them aren't and this causes problems when you try to squeeze up against the limits of tire size on these pigs.
Dont want to highjack the thread but it might help seeing I am having issues you brought up.

I am trying to get a 235/60-14 on my stock rear end and it just wont go. The drives side tucks in the wheel well but the pass side sticks out just a bit and it directly under the wheel well lip. I am told this is normal for a '66 to have the rear off center, is that right? My wheels are 14x7-4.5 backspacing.

So is there a way to center the axle? Is there a way to raise the rear so I can get more clearance(no air shocks)? Would more backspacing get me inside the wheel wells? So far I am stuck with with $200 tires I can use but I REALLY want to find a way to use these tires and get the tires inside the wheel well lip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I HAVE 235/60 - 14 ON 14 X 7 RALLYE WHEELS. THEY FIT NO PROBLEM. STOCK GM RALLYE WHEELS OFF OF 67 - 69 CAMARO. :chev::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
235-60/15 with 4.75 BS on a 66.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
340 Posts
I HAVE 235/60 - 14 ON 14 X 7 RALLYE WHEELS. THEY FIT NO PROBLEM. STOCK GM RALLYE WHEELS OFF OF 67 - 69 CAMARO. :chev::thumbsup:
Whats the backspacing on those wheels? MrTimstik has 4.75, but the extra .25 inches isnt going to help me much on the 1 side that the rear is shifted to, whcih from a previous post seems to be the norm for rear axle placement. I just dont know how to fix it without cutting off the perches and re-welding them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
whats the backspacing on those wheels? Mrtimstik has 4.75, but the extra .25 inches isnt going to help me much on the 1 side that the rear is shifted to, whcih from a previous post seems to be the norm for rear axle placement. I just dont know how to fix it without cutting off the perches and re-welding them.
I will try to measure this weekend. Lots of stuff going on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just measured my tires again, I have:
Front = 14x6 w/ 4.5 BS 215/70-14 tires Fit nicely in the back but are for the front.

Rear = 14x7 w/ 4.5 BS 235/60-14 tires.

Odd thing is that the front spacing is the difference, which I would expect somewhat. The 14x7 front spacing is roughly 3.25" and on the 14x6 the front spacing is 2.25". So the extra inch width is all in the front:(

Can I get a tire with 2.25" front spacing and 5.5" backspacing? This would move the tire 1" (more than I need but I will take it) from the wheel well and I have about 1.5" play before the frame rail so with the extra BS I will have about .5" inside clearance.

Or, can I put a 235/60 on a 14x6 wheel which basically would do the same thing???

So close but yet so far away!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Im running a mickey thompson 26 x 10in on 4.75 bs. I have a removed the leafsprings, im running a 4 link with coilovers.

Len

·
Registered
756 Posts
i just measured my tires again, i have:
Front = 14x6 w/ 4.5 bs 215/70-14 tires fit nicely in the back but are for the front.

Rear = 14x7 w/ 4.5 bs 235/60-14 tires.

Odd thing is that the front spacing is the difference, which i would expect somewhat. The 14x7 front spacing is roughly 3.25" and on the 14x6 the front spacing is 2.25". So the extra inch width is all in the front:(

can i get a tire with 2.25" front spacing and 5.5" backspacing? This would move the tire 1" (more than i need but i will take it) from the wheel well and i have about 1.5" play before the frame rail so with the extra bs i will have about .5" inside clearance.

Or, can i put a 235/60 on a 14x6 wheel which basically would do the same thing???

So close but yet so far away!
I measured mine, the rears are exactly what you have back spaceing 4.5". Do you have a nova rearend or maybe a camaro rearend which would be between 1" to 1.5" wider.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I measured mine, the rears are exactly what you have back spaceing 4.5". Do you have a nova rearend or maybe a camaro rearend which would be between 1" to 1.5" wider.
BINGO!!!!!! I got a '67 Camaro rear end. I just looked at the casting number and really didnt look at the date code. Its a "PE", 1967 Camaro 3.08 Posi (now with a 4.10 gear)

Time to look for a Chevy2 rear. Thanks for the info hopefully anyone else watching this thread doesnt do the same mistake I did and just look atthe casting number. The Camaro rear is 2" wider than the C2. Now, once I find a rear hopfully it will fit in nicely and all will be fixed:yes::D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts