Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of doing a gasser style 66 sedan been researching a little and have seen several first gen. nova with straight axle useing factory front clip with all factory susp. components removed which i like because you are not cutting the car up .but what im trying to figure out is what about steering ?can the factory steering box be used? any input would be great thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it on my 66, and ran the drag link from the steering box to the left front tire over the spring using a power steering pitman arm with Heim joints. I've seen many that used the right side with the drag link on a severe angle but that what you don't want. Drag links HAVE to be level to prevent bump steer. If I have time I'll dig up the pictures and post one.....
i would love to see them sound very simple....

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ive located a 62 sedan instead of the 66 i was planning on and have pretty much decided on a 48inch speedway axle kit..has anyone used the speedway axle and retained the factory steering box?i called speedway today and they were not much help on this question...they did recommend using a cross steer steering rod from the steering box to the pass. side lower spindle but im thinking the standard pitman arm on the car will hit the spring im thinking a straight flat pitman arm will be needed is there any such thing out there to fit the 1st gen steering box? will the street rod style pitman arms for the vega boxes work on the nova box? any ideas are greatly welcomed.....:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts