Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue If the steering wheel on my 66 is the right one...I bought the car at a swap meet, now i'm having all kinds of trouble trying to put the thing together with the horn kit....Driving me nuts.....Does anyone have a good photo of their steering wheel so I know if I have the right one...I've looked on Ebay and a million other sites to find out...but they all seem to be a little different than the one I have.....This is the one that I bought through ebay a few years ago...I just can't get the horn to work....

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-03-18

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some better photos....This is what it looks like complete...
Here are some more photos of the breakdown...

Here's a photo of another steering wheel I have...And a center cap..That's different, and won't fit the wheels I have...

Any information on this situation ??......I'd be happy to hear it....Thanks...Randy.....

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Your tan wheel is for '62-'65....And so is the horn ring & cap...
The black wheel appears to be a '66.....
Therefore., you need a '66-'67 horn ring to make things work....
(the horn cap in the bottom pic is '66-'67...)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Your tan wheel is for '62-'65....And so is the horn ring & cap...
The black wheel appears to be a '66.....
Therefore., you need a '66-'67 horn ring to make things work....
(the horn cap in the bottom pic is '66-'67...)
wrong. 67 has a completely different steering wheel. they are three spoke, and have no rings. one peice wheel like posted above.

that horn button in your last pic is a 66. now you need the correct horn ring

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
^^^ Right....:yes::yes::yes:

My apologies... I'm much more familiar with 1st. gen. stuff than 2nd.....

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks....I saw the horn ring on Ebay.and thought it might be the one I need for the black steering wheel I posted. It may be rather pricey but I might have to place a bid...there kind of hard to find....Unless any of you good folks have one you might want to sell..Or trade for the tan one ......Thanks again...

·
Registered
681 Posts
You also need a new Cancel Cam! That funny looking white piece that the spring sits in. It's missing the little plunger switch that goes into the that hollow tube.

You can get a new one at Year one or try looking around for one. They are very hard to find.

But everything else you have is for a 1st Gen Steering set-up.

DW

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have no clue If the steering wheel on my 66 is the right one...I bought the car at a swap meet, now i'm having all kinds of trouble trying to put the thing together with the horn kit....Driving me nuts.....Does anyone have a good photo of their steering wheel so I know if I have the right one...I've looked on Ebay and a million other sites to find out...but they all seem to be a little different than the one I have.....This is the one that I bought through ebay a few years ago...I just can't get the horn to work....

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-03-18
Here is a picture of my wheel on my 66. Let me know if you need a better pic.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I have a 66 SS horn ring, without the button

Somebody tried to glue an ss horn button on it so there is a little JB weld on the rim of the horn ring where the button would go, just a little clean up is needed. The ring is in fairly good shape no cracks, chrome is not pitted just needs a good polish. GM Part# 3873652

PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I have a 66 SS horn ring, without the button

Somebody tried to glue an ss horn button on it so there is a little JB weld on the rim of the horn ring where the button would go, just a little clean up is needed. The ring is in fairly good shape no cracks, chrome is not pitted just needs a good polish. GM Part# 3873652

PM me if interested.
just an FYI. you mention someone put an SS horn button on it at one time. 66 SS's did'nt have a specific SS horn button. Someone probably put on a 67 SS button.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
just an FYI. you mention someone put an SS horn button on it at one time. 66 SS's did'nt have a specific SS horn button. Someone probably put on a 67 SS button.

SS you are probably right, the Nova also came with a 67 trunk panel, someone must have been confused when they were building the car or just put on whatever they had. Good thing is I have been able to trade for most of the correct parts and now she is back to the original right parts.

The grill had a SS emblem that says "NovaSS" but I thought that a 66 SS only had a grill emblem that said "SS" does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steering wheel Issue has be resoulved...Thank you.......The tan one will go up for sale in the near future.........Thanks for your input everyone...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts