Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do something about the steering box in the 66 soon and needed to know the options (cheaper is better).

1. a $80 rebuild kit
2. a $300-400 rebuilt box (63-66)
3. ???

What other conversions are unde the $300 mark??
- Convert to a 67 box? (problem would be the shaft linkage,etc)
- switch to a after market setup? (price is going to prolly be through the roof)

Other options?

thanks
Brent

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Personal choice would be the CBR rack conversion.Least expencive would obviously be a kit.I took my 67 box apart years ago when I first bought my car and it had had water in it at some point and needed more than just a kit.I ended up buying a Global West reman box and it worked great.It went to a member here actually.If you go after market box you have to modify your column to work with a short shaft box.Good used or reman correct box for your application would be the cheapest way to go but maybe not the best improvement you could make.JMO

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dale @ novasrus.com has good used ones in stock. They are probably half the price of a rebuild kit. I think even a rebuilt one is going to have some play in it, they all do.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I did the rebuild. Put the ball baring idler on. Much happier with the the CBR kit.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I bought a rebuilt from Lares Corp WWW.Larescorp.com, I called them and found the had a 66 core, they were very easy to deal with. They rebuilt the core, shipped it and then I just returned my old steering box in the packaging they sent. The price was very inexpensive and the service was excellent.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I rebuilt an old core unit from a parts car for mine. Works great and has no play. If you elect to rebuild yourself, be aware that you will need to make some special bushing drivers and have access to a press. Also, a tq wrench that can measure in the 0-100 lb-in range is manditory.

I think the success of the rebuild depends on the level of wear on the gears. I don't think a box with worn gears will ever feel like new, and I don't think anyone makes the Nova gears anymore. I was lucky because my core came from a low mileage '64 that had been parked since the 1970's. Power steering cars are likely to have less gear wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts