Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a 66 Nova that I am updating the stock front end to a Church Boy's kit (upper and lower arms). While reading the build book of this car from about 1989, they mention heating and bending the steering arms down by 3/4 of an inch (right by the tie rod ends). This is a 5 lug/disc brake car, with power steering. Not sure why they would have done this so: 1) Anyone got a clue why this might have been done? 2) Are replacement steering arms needed? Thanks for any and all inputs!..Rick

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Post some pictures,I would not want heated and bent steering arms on my car:eek:If one was to fail it would likely take the car with it.If you need a set of stockers let my know I think i have a spare set.If the front end is stock I can not see why this would be done:eek:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It was probably done to get the bump steer under controll on a lowered car with stock spindles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I would bet money they were bent to minimize the bump steer. I have seen some bent on a 66 drag car many years ago. Owner bent them for the bump steer and radical toe end changes.

Ed

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would replace them. As Nova404 said bad things can happen. I am assuming you are only doing the CBR arms at this time. If/when you are doing the R&P you will need to replace the steering arms as it is a front steer system. Try to find some stock arms, or there are reproduction arms available too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post some pictures,I would not want heated and bent steering arms on my car:eek:If one was to fail it would likely take the car with it.If you need a set of stockers let my know I think i have a spare set.If the front end is stock I can not see why this would be done:eek:
Hello..thanks for the reply!..I could not get pics to load to this site, they were just too big in file size. I did post a few on photobucket at the link below. You can see how far down the hang. The one inside pic shows how far out they are relative to the forged machining lug. I would be interested in the stock arms you mention. I really want to put this car back in safe condition! thanks again!

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/...eering arms/?action=view&current=DSCF1241.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Hello..thanks for the reply!..I could not get pics to load to this site, they were just too big in file size. I did post a few on photobucket at the link below. You can see how far down the hang. The one inside pic shows how far out they are relative to the forged machining lug. I would be interested in the stock arms you mention. I really want to put this car back in safe condition! thanks again!

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/...eering arms/?action=view&current=DSCF1241.jpg
I will look in the morning to see if I can find them.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I do have a stock set,currently grungy and nasty.I hope you not in a hurry:eek:I have a wedding on Friday and will be out of town n for a few days on a camping trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arms

Sure, grungy is fine...everything cleans up and can take a coat of paint. If they are here say a week from this Friday, that would be fine with my plans...Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, grungy is fine...everything cleans up and can take a coat of paint. If they are here say a week from this Friday, that would be fine with my plans...Thanks!
Hello All,
Thanks for all the replies. Nova 404 helped me out big time, by getting good stockers to me in a day!..so the front end swap could keep going. Just in case you’re interested, below I posted a link to comparison of the ones I pulled off and the ones Nova 404 sent. Quite the difference! So glad I am putting these on while the CBR arms are going in. I’ll feel much better about the front end now.

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac184/orangehighboy/66 Nova modified steering arms/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts