Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
3 on the tree is the standard if the 4 speed or the power glide is not selected.

Looks good to me...would have to check in person before handing the 30K over.

Can you live with the column 3 speed? Right paint code on the cowl tag as the

color of car?

Dave

·
13,987 Posts
Nice looking car. With dealer paperwork and the POP it should be easy to check original color and other factory features of this car.

Bob

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 on the tree is the standard if the 4 speed or the power glide is not selected.

Can you live with the column 3 speed?
Dave
That's the dilemma. Looks like a really nice car but I don't think I could live with a 3 on the column and would hate to start changing it if it is still all original.

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
Not a great picture of under the hood, but it looks a pretty original car. And 99 percent of the time, I like to try to keep a Nova in original condition when found like that, especially if it has documentation and a history. But a '66 SS V-8 car in Aztec Bronze with black interior would be an exception for me. I'd do all I could to find original, not reproduction parts, suck it up and put in the shifter, console and a 4-speed. It would be a pain to do it right with the steering column changes and everything else, but I think it would be worth the hassle. No matter the asking price, would the installed 4-speed detract from the value? Hard to argue it would.

I just don't know the market on these things anymore. I'd have thought $30K was high, but there's worse going for more.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly constituted an SS package besides the trim?

·
13,987 Posts
What exactly constituted an SS package besides the trim?
There really is no such thing as an SS 'package'. The SS was a distinct model, 11837 for V/8 and 11737 for six cylinder. Basically, it was an appearance upgrade and offered little or nothing in terms of performance enhancements.

Besides the exterior trim, the SS had vinyl bucket seats and, with PG or 4 speed, a floor console. It came standard with a clock. There were additional interior trim colors and several SS only exterior colors.

Bob

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bob,
reason I asked is I recently saw an ad for a 66 SS with "rare bench seat option".
Sounds like this would not have been possible? Or would it. Perhaps anything was possible back then.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
No...not possible. The "rare bench seat option" is not true. The SS came with

buckets and a console with either a power glide or a 4 speed.

Like the one your looking at, has no console as it is a 3 speed on the column.

Standard transmission unless you optioned out for the glide or the 4 speed.

Like Ally McReal said...offer the seller 25K and get that car first. Then, get a

console/ 4 speed with another column for floor shift and make it the way you

want. Put all original parts in it and drive it with a smile!!

Dave

·
13,987 Posts
Thanks Bob,
reason I asked is I recently saw an ad for a 66 SS with "rare bench seat option". Sounds like this would not have been possible? Or would it. Perhaps anything was possible back then.
Yeah, some people will try anything to sell a car. There was never a bench seat option for any 1st or 2nd generation Nova SS. However, the SS was no longer a separate model beginning in 1968 and it became an option for coupes. The SS had a standard bench seat unless you ordered the optional buckets. A console was also a separate option, as were the gauges to put in it.

Bob

·
Registered
380 Posts
I purchased this car. It’s an original paint car, can’t believe seller didn’t advertise it in listed ad. A great survivor. All original mint interior. Never restored. I’m very happy with purchase. Been looking for a long time for a car in this condition. I’ve posted a new thread under car profiles if anyone is interested in following. Proud new owner .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts