Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am hoping to get some help from others with cars similar to mine. My car is a '66 L79 SS car, mostly (if not all) original to my knowledge.

My question is this: Underneath where the leaf springs connect to the axle, there are pieces of flat steel plate hanging down (attached to the axle) with one hole through each piece (2 pieces each side, L & R) with nothing attached to either side. To me this looks like it may be for some sort of traction bar or stabilizer to mount to... does this sound right? Would this be stock, or aftermarket? Should there be any sort of stabilizers connecting the rear axle to the frame besides the leaf springs? It doesn't look like there's anything there now. Am I missing some parts??
I will try to get some photos tonight to post so you can visualize this...
Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Here's what the OEM equipment setup looks like, if you ignore the Caltrac traction bar stuff you see hanging down below the lower mounting plate :

The OEM setup has an upper spring saddle sitting above the leaf that is welded to the axle tube, and a shock mounting plate sitting below it. The shock mounts to the ear on the side of the lower mounting plate. There is no other stabilization mechanism present on the stock setup.

The two plates, the upper saddle plate and the lower plate that sandwich the axle tubes, are the only things holding the differential to the leaf springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if I could figure out how to post pics on this site, I would. I actually read the instructions on how to post pics, and my screen does NOT have the "attachment" icon OR the "manage attachments" button it mentions!! ??

Anyway, mine is a little different than yours, but it seems like I probably have some mounts for some sort of traction bar or sway bar setup that is not being used. The shock mounts are on the front sides of the bottom sandwich bracket, and the long plates with holes I mentioned are on the back (rear) side with nothing attached (not underneath like yours). Also mine is a single-leaf... is that stock?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Well, if I could figure out how to post pics on this site, I would. I actually read the instructions on how to post pics, and my screen does NOT have the "attachment" icon OR the "manage attachments" button it mentions!! ??

Anyway, mine is a little different than yours, but it seems like I probably have some mounts for some sort of traction bar or sway bar setup that is not being used. The shock mounts are on the front sides of the bottom sandwich bracket, and the long plates with holes I mentioned are on the back (rear) side with nothing attached (not underneath like yours). Also mine is a single-leaf... is that stock?

Thanks for your help!
Email me a pic and I can post it for you. That may help diagnose the issue a bit better.

My setup isn't stock any more with the addition of the traction bars, the multi-leaf springs, and the use of U-bolts instead of the stock t-bolts. The basic hardware setup is essentially the same though.

I'm not sure what you mean by the long plates with the holes. Shoot me a pic and we'll get you fixed up. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Those are not stock shock plates, the bracket ears have been welded to the bottom for traction bars, could probably be cut off and ground down and saved if thats your choice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, mine looks identical to Ross's. I was just worried I was missing some important parts! Thanks for the replies. I'd still be interested to see this setup complete if somebody out there has something attached to those plates... I emailed my photos to Novatorius so he may post them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts