Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering a reproduction 1966 ss die cast trunk molding. Does anyone have one and how does it fit up with the trunk? Any thoughts on quality and do you recommend it or should I try to find a decent OEM one? Thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Someone did a side by side comparison, do a search.:yes:

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
They are unfortunately hit and miss in quality. Some are gorgeous like the ones in Jehras comparison, others not so much. One hopes vendors are filtering these out and not selling them without a disclaimer. I know there is a seller on eBay selling them discounted and honestly described as blems. I have 10 that have issues like this.

Attachments

·
13,822 Posts
Tell me the trunk moldings in the above pictures aren't being sold as reproductions! Those are brutal.

Bob

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
Tell me the trunk moldings in the above pictures aren't being sold as reproductions! Those are brutal.

Bob
These are from a case that had just made it to market here, but had not made it to retail sale yet. All 10 in the case are like this. And there were more cases where this came from in similar condition. So obviously these could leak out into the market place improperly described.

I post this as a `buyer beware` warning, mainly in regards to the monolithic sellers on venues like eBay and Amazon.
And I am not crapping on this repop, there are some very nice ones. Obviously some quality control issues going on.

I am selling them as `blems` at an obviously discounted rate, which I have to imagine the other established Chevy II vendors are as well.

Regardless, `brutal` is a very appropriate term.

·
13,822 Posts
I would say there is no attempt being made at controlling quality when 10 of these get sent out looking like this. There are original plates still on cars that look better. Was there no process in place to return them?

Bob

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
I would say there is no attempt being made at controlling quality when 10 of these get sent out looking like this. There are original plates still on cars that look better.

Bob
I agree 100% :yes: I see blatantly defective repops here and there, but it is not common. With some sources virtually never.

Was there no process in place to return them?

Bob
That I do not know as I am a couple hops downstream from the source and purchased these with the knowledge they were blems - but even then, was surprised by the quality. I really do not know the whole story. I have been told when importers are bringing in large quantities of parts they have to take what they get. I know in manufacturing engineering there will be a designated defect threshold planned for in the process and likely in the contracts. But there is a guy selling them on eBay not on the west coast, so they have obviously filtered out into the market some.

·
13,822 Posts
What's really unfortunate is that many buyers can't inspect the product themselves, because they don't have a classic car parts outlet close at hand. They pretty well have to resort to some sort of 'sight unseen' or on-line ordering and hope for the best. At least one eBay seller comes clean and says there may be flaws and other imperfections. Good on him. Yes, there's a big 'buyer beware' on these if you don't get to see what you're buying in person. I remember when I got my L79 in 2000 they were saying these moldings would soon be available in reproduction:rolleyes:. Almost 20 years later we finally get them and some are like the pictures you posted. Sad situation.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts