Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I really like the yellow on these cars. It's the color I would order if I could go back in time and a 66 SS is the car I would order it on. Other than the different front and back wheels and the ratchet shifter what do you see right or wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts

I really like the yellow on these cars. It's the color I would order if I could go back in time and a 66 SS is the car I would order it on. Other than the different front and back wheels and the ratchet shifter what do you see right or wrong?
First, this looks like a reasonably solid car from the photos. I like these cars in Lemonwood Yellow, too. One of my friends bought a new L79 in this color and I always liked his.

Now for the warning... I'm going to be in "full-picky" mode for the following list. Most, if not all, of the items are just things that either I just don't like or could be easily corrected.
The painter failed to make the door sills black. This is just inexcusable in my book. It makes the car look like the doors aren't fitted correctly.
I'm not sure what's going on with the 'frame connector' in photo #52, but that rusty stripe looks like the part moved - very disconcerting!!
The stainless wheel opening moldings are missing from the front fenders.
The rear chrome 'gravel guards' are positioned too far forward.
The antenna is slanted - it's either aftermarket or from an earlier Chevy.
The 'bullet' caps are missing from the bucket seat trim.
The 'wood' steering wheel is either aftermarket or from a later model Chevy.
The radio surround is painted black - it should be satin-finish like the console.
The battery hold-down is missing.
The '327' emblem is missing from the left front fender and the one on the right side is incorrectly positioned.
The arm rest supports are painted - they should be 'chrome' plated.
The door upholstery cards are attached with screws - should be 'invisible' clips.

All that said, if I were looking for a 'cruiser', I'd certainly consider this car. At $29,900 it's - maybe - a bit over-priced; but given what I've seen others sell for lately, it's not completely out of the ball park!

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
It has what appears to be rot that has been coated over in the passenger's inner quarter tub and trunk drop. Also looks to have had floor pan replacement work.

Radio knobs are '67 (add my nit pick).

Big fan of the yellow as well (y)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
is the color butternut yellow. i do like that color. but i have to say they fubar'd the rocker trim install an paint. those wires in the front wheel well are kinda strange. also is it a true SS ?

·
13,712 Posts
Not a factory V/8 SS. Born an 11737 six cylinder. In addition to the door cards being screwed on (sheesh!), there are no shields on the vertical stripes. Front bumper is crooked. Rear bumper is REALLY crooked! The yellow line Dave mentioned is a combination of no black painted sills and the trim on the bottom of the door being installed too high. Spoils the entire side views of the car. A properly painted and trimmed out light colored 1966 Nova SS should have zero body color showing at the bottom of the doors. The trim on this car is poorly applied. There is no excuse for the terrible placement of the lower rear quarter trim. In less than 60 seconds you can find dozens of '66 super sports on line showing correct placement of these pieces.

Many of the weaknesses of this car are easily remedied. Others are not. Again, agree with Dave that the price might be a little high, but not out of line with others currently on the market. Also, agree with members that Lemonwood Yellow is a great color on the 1966 Nova SS, but I could be a little biased ;).

Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
It has what appears to be rot that has been coated over in the passenger's inner quarter tub and trunk drop. Also looks to have had floor pan replacement work.

Radio knobs are '67 (add my nit pick).

Big fan of the yellow as well (y)
I'm in the market for a second gen and this car checked a lot of boxes for me. But the rot scared me away. The two different valve covers and rims also made me go HMM.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Great_Escape said:

I'm in the market for a second gen and this car checked a lot of boxes for me. But the rot scared me away. The two different valve covers and rims also made me go HMM.

Well, there is SOME rot and - not pointing fingers, here - but it's always been an issue for you folks who live in warm, dry areas. For all of us 'other' guys, rust is the reason repair panels are sold. :rolleyes:

As for the two different valve covers, I have a suspicion that the owner was facing a common problem encountered when using modern components on vintage engine blocks. These cars were meant to have an oil-fill tube/vent in the front of the intake manifold. If you use a 'modern' intake like this car has, that's no longer an option. Now, add in roller-rockers that require taller valve covers that don't always come with the needed oil-fill and vent provisions and you're faced with a dilemma! I had this same problem on the last small-block that I built. I solved it by buying Spectre valve covers and having the guy who does all my machine work drill the covers and TIG-weld in the proper fittings. Not cheap, but it looks great!

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been looking for a 66 in this color for a while. That's why I put it up here. Upon first inspection I was really liking it but as the discrepancies get pointed out I'm not so sure. At least not at that price. There are some really knowledgeable people here that are happy to help for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
well think of what you don't like an what it would cost to fix or change an make an offer with those costs in mine. you never know you might just be the new owner of a 66 SS. i looked for 2 years before i bought the 66 i have. an i held my breather for the first few months hoping i had done the right thing. so after 3 years of owning this nova i feel i did the right thing. best of luck in your looking.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
One-to-two year search time seems to be about right for higher dollar 2nd gen coupes right now. There is a lot of high priced, questionable cars out there. And some stuff that is not in touch with reality. We see that regularly posted here. Popular flipping car right now, so draws out all the usual characters.

We looked for over a year for a money-in-hand, very serious local customer. The wait paid off and a great '67 SS V8 Southern California car was found at a fair price. We saw a bunch of high priced garbage. One was a lemon wood yellow "unmolested, all original down to the hub caps" coupe that, oh by the way had a bent rear frame rail :rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
like i said i held my breath to hope that i had looked it over good in person before i payed the cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts