Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when you get a 66 SS trunk emblem refinished, its big bucks. Is it the same with the SS console? I understand that the refinishing of pot metal is tedious work (drilling, filling, plating, redo redo, etc). But couldn't someone actually just take the painted center surface of the SS console and sand it down, smooth it out with filler, and paint it? Would that work?

·
13,977 Posts
Yes, it would. I had my 66 console center section done this way and it turned out great. Make sure whoever does it knows what he's doing. My guy found air brushing the paint worked best. Even the best original tops show some wear, so matching the finish perfectly 'as new' is almost impossible. I was fortunate that my console had very little pitting in the chrome groove around the outside edge. I have yet to see a first class restoration job on this part of the console. Hopefully yours isn't too bad, either.

Bob

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I have yet to see a first class restoration job on this part of the console.

I had my 66 console done last year in Dubuque, Ia, paid around $430 if I remember right. In my opinion it is almost a perfect restoration, they did a very nice job.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think you could easily do that. Just mask off the rest real good so not to hurt the chrome.
I had mine rechromed and can't wait to see it in the car.
Here's a picture of it next to another nice console!! :devil:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I sanded the center section of my top plate, painted it, and then sprayed it with some matte clear. It turned out nice. Now I can't remember if I used silver or chrome paint.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can you tell me if the center was siver paint or the chrome paint with the mat finish? This is great stuff at the right time because mine is in being plated right now. I will have to do the same thing to the center. I wish I would have known about the plater that finished that console for $430 because mine cost $388 for the chrome and then I have to paint the middle myself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'll look when I get home and see if I can remember what I used. Just to through another idea in the mix, I was at Super Chevy in Memphis year before last and a guy had a 66 SS that had console top plate re-chromed. I noticed his center section looked different and he said he had the chromer do it in brushed nickel. He said it's the closest thing to original he had seen. It was probably the best one I've seen.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The center sections of the SS consoles weren't painted from the factory. They were plated.
So the silver looking color is actually not paint...its some type of plating?

The one in the pic is the one that 1966RAT let me have for a deal that I definitely could not pass up!!!! LOL You guys should see the one he had show chromed in person!! Although it may not be for the purist, I think it will look SWEET in the car.

Either way, from what I'm getting here, is that I can sand it down on the center part and paint it. Once again, thanks for the info guys!!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
YO, I remember the plater telling me, "If you want to paint any part of it, just scuff the chrome in the area to be painted and then paint"!!!! Just mask it off well and you will be fine. "YOU CAN DO IT" :D

·
13,977 Posts
The official term for the 66 console top finish was 'brushed chrome.' It was a different finish than the 65. Anyone know what the 65 was?

Bob

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Can you tell me if the center was siver paint or the chrome paint with the mat finish? This is great stuff at the right time because mine is in being plated right now. I will have to do the same thing to the center. I wish I would have known about the plater that finished that console for $430 because mine cost $388 for the chrome and then I have to paint the middle myself. :rolleyes:
Ok, for the silver I used some Duplicolor silver metallic in the small can, not the normal size can. Then I used some Krylon matte clear. I put clear on it for two reasons. I thought it would protect the silver from scratches and by using the matte finish it would dull down the metallic in the silver. I also didn't want a glossy finish. I've seen some before that were very glossy which is fine if that's what you want but not me. It's very very close to the one in the picture 1966RAT posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How does the reproduction part look? Does it look like the original? If so, what is the factory reproducing the part do to achieve that finish?

·
Registered
39 Posts
After my friend had his OEM console re-chormed, we masked it off and shot the center section with glass bead at a low pressure. Looks as good as the original

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You just made up my mind voodeuce!! PERECT!!

What center plastic piece did you use to go around your shifter? How did you get it to attach?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts