Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the "Cloth" interior for the bench (not a split bench) seat is available for a 66 sedan? Herbie has a nice looking interior installed in 1987, but would I like to get it back to original styling and a 60s look (instead of the late 80s style). Everything I find is a vinyl only, but that is not the way it came from Fisher Body.

The photo is the original cloth. (Long since been trashed).

Where do I find it?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
????

I ran into same isssue but with split bench. Can not find any one that makes the cloth for the sedans,four doors, and wagons. I did however get awesome samples from sms fabrics. I just read so many horror stories that I didn’t want to put up that kind of money and them screw me. Went with PUI vinyl

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran into same isssue but with split bench. Can not find any one that makes the cloth for the sedans,four doors, and wagons. I did however get awesome samples from sms fabrics. I just read so many horror stories that I didn’t want to put up that kind of money and them screw me. Went with PUI vinyl
Horror stories about SMS the company??? Tell me more. I have been interested in them for some time - and heard good things from other professionals that they were a good company. I was needing some fabric for my 63 Corvair as well.

Tell me more......

·
13,707 Posts
I did however get awesome samples from sms fabrics. I just read so many horror stories that I didn’t want to put up that kind of money and them screw me.
Horror stories about SMS the company??? Tell me more. I have been interested in them for some time - and heard good things from other professionals that they were a good company.
Yeah, not helpful when he doesn't say what any of the 'horror stories' are. The SMS interiors I've seen are very good. They did a complete black interior for Bogie's '66 2 door sedan. There was no factory black interior for 1966 100 series, but SMS nailed it for material and pattern. I've also seen pictures of a complete SMS interior replicating the unique material and design for an Acadian. If you want a new interior in 4 weeks, you won't get it. They don't work fast. They're also expensive, but most things in this hobby are if you want custom work done.

Bob

·
Registered
303 Posts
I purchased the complete nos material for my 62 100 series from sms NO issues with them I got the material within two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,707 Posts
The only thing I have heard is extremely long wait times. That could depend on the car I guess.
If you just want to purchase material, probably not too bad a wait time. If it's an install ready interior you want them to make, seat covers, door panels, etc., it can be a lengthy wait. As you mention, type of car is probably also a factor.

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question for Nova Guru.....

Ok, I got my sample from SMS and it is striped. Can anyone who knows a 1966, 4 door sedan, Nova 400 FOR CERTAIN tell me if the pic in the start of this thread is factory or not? It does not look like the striped version that they sent. In my opinion, it looks more like a 100 series in the photos of the sales brochure.
(https://www.myclassicgarage.com/knowledge-base/1966-Chevrolet-Nova)

I bought the car when I was 15 and I was not around to know if this was the original or not. (Actually, I was around - but I was only 3 months old when this was new). :D

So the question I have is: Does the cloth fabric in the photo, appear to be factory original? Or do you suspect that it was re-upholstered between 1966 and 1981?

Thanks for all the opinions.

·
13,707 Posts
The 1966 showroom brochure has upholstery pictures. They sent you the correct pattern for Nova series. The seat in the picture at the top of your thread is 100 series pattern. Looks like a swapped seat, because it's a different color than the door panel.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
66 Chevy II Sedan seat covers

I believe the picture you have posted is from a 66 Nova Wagon or 4 door (because of the solid seat back and the pattern). I think the wagon might have been cloth all the way across and the sedan had some vinyl in the center section? I am posting a picture of the seat that I am putting in my 66 Chevy II Sedan. I belive it to be the correct cover for a 2 door.

I ordered 66 Sedan fawn door panel from SMS in February 2018 and have not received them yet ($795). I ordered a material(s) for my 67 Chevy II RHD wagon front seat this past November and have not received that either ($495). Plus it has to be sewn together. My 67 Wagon is all vinyl material(s). I would imagine the material from SMS for a 66 Sedan would be more. SMS seems to have about any material you may need. Just don't be in a hurry. Hope this helps you out.

Jerry in KY

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here is a picture from a 66 Nova 4 door I had a few years ago.

Jerry in KY

·
13,707 Posts
Does SMS, PUI or anyone offer colors other than black?
Don't know what year you're referring to here, but the only factory black interior in 1966 was the SS. Can't speak for PUI, but SMS will make any color you want. I've seen a black 100 series interior they did for a 1966 2 door and it looked just like it would have from the factory had they offered one.

Bob

·
13,707 Posts
I am posting a picture of the seat that I am putting in my 66 Chevy II Sedan. I belive it to be the correct cover for a 2 door.
Jerry in KY
Jerry, the pattern on the fawn seat covering in your picture appears to be for 1966 Nova 4 door sedan and sport coupe. There was no 2 door sedan in the '66 Nova series, just in the 100. It was my belief the 100 series 4 door and 2 door seat coverings were both as shown in the brochure picture above with the 100 series wagon being different. The pattern on the blue covering in your second post looks correct for a 1966 Nova 4 door sedan.

Bob

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had SMS make some 1965 Nova cloth interior covers and door panels for me.

From my perspective they turned out really nice, very good quality.

It took about 18 months from the time they sent me samples until the time I received my order. I did send my old seat covers to them to use as a sample.

I also did do a fair bit of follow up as well.

I did have one issue, SMS made the wrong colour door panels. The samples they sent me showed the door panels were darker blue but when they arrived they were light blue ones. I spoke to the owner and they did correct the issue and replaced them with the correct colour blus.

The seat and door panels were a bit pricy but I wanted my car to look as factory as original as possible. I made sure I asked that they make the seats out of the exact same thickness vinyl material as the original was, if you do not stipulate that they will make the seat covers in a thinner vinyl to save money, also I think it is easier for them to sew. The price was only a $100 extra for the correct thickness material. (I learned this because SMS made replacement seat covers for my 1964 Beaumont SD and they were thinner than the originals so I bought a second set to get the correct material thickness, I will sell the second set once finish my Beaumont project, which will be after my 1965 Nova bench seat 327 4 speed project is done)

This is what I paid for my covers.

1965 Nova seat covers rear and front (bench) = $1,350
1965 Nova front and rear door panels = $749

Below are a couple pictures.

Frank

Attachments

·
13,707 Posts
That's good information, Frank. Are those U.S. dollar prices? How long ago?

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the photos and prices of yours, Frank. Like you, I want to keep it as original as possible. (Keep your GM car - ALL GM). There are no after market or re-pop parts on this car except for the seat fabric.
It is about 30 years old, and not showing any wear, but it is time to get the look back.

What I planned on doing was ordering the fabric ($125 per yard) and having my guy do the sewing and assembly. That might be a lot faster. I have a call in to SMS to find out if they have them in stock and how before they ship.

Mine is a 66 bench NOT split so not sure how that will affect the pricing. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for all the input. This is the most informative topic I have ever gotten in any of my threads, so I am super excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phone Call

I talked to SMS yesterday and Leslie informed me that

1. They DO have the material in stock for a 66 400 series Sedan​
2. The vinyl IS the original thickness​
3. It would be about 2 weeks to get it pulled (first come - first serve)​
4. It would take about 3 days in transit
Additionally, regarding them assembling the seats

4. They have no patterns to go off of for the complete design and sizing​
5. Because of that, they can only ship me the fabric and have someone else do the sewing.​

So the next question is - Does anyone have a FACTORY CORRECT 4 door sedan NON split bench that they can send me photos and measurements of? (Measurements on how wide the center vinyl is; how wide is the fabric? What is the pattern of the stitching and the placement on the back of the front seat? etc.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts