Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a consensus about QP quality and fit for 66-67 cars. I see huge differences in price from barely $300 to close to $500. Is the one brand that fits better and is more correct, and more importantly, is there any that fit "like boots on a rooster"! Any insight as to which brands different vendors sell?

I just bought a 66 htp and know I am going to have to change the RH quarter. The car is pretty much rust-free, but the quarter is bent pretty bad. If it makes a difference, I will be replacing with a full panel, including the sail panel.

The car is a single owner, original paint, original drivetrain 6 cyl PG car. Has not been driven in 22 years.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,900 Posts
This is one of those times you may want to wait until you find a NOS rear quarter. The aftermarket and GM are not identical. It makes no difference what brand the bump-out running down the quarter is not the same profile. If everything else is really nice I would keep looking.....:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. This car is not going to get NOS anything. It is going to be a hot rod, not a restoration. Just wanted to get the best fit I could without breaking the bank. The car is a pretty rust-free one owner, but it is not that nice. It is going to be a full rotisserie build with all the modern touches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We’ve changed both quarter panels on my 3rd Gen and on my son’s 68 Charger with AMD sheetmetal. There are always fit adjustments with any panel. In fact, an AMD front fender went on my Nova rather than a rust free original due to fit.
The Charger panels were especially good quality and fit.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I’m a strong proponent for oem and Nos when possible.
That said my driver side rocker panel fitment with an Nos quarter is not great and it was done by an experienced body guy.
I’d point you toward amd for your goals.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I personally like oem/nos also but they have been bounced around for years and you never know how it is till you start installing it. That being said I bought a nos fender for a 70 Monte Carlo that need some serious tweeking to fit. If it was not a track car I'd say hunt for you oem. Stay away from Sherman I found there product flimsy and questionable . The others are as equal as you can get AMD best fit but still will need tweeking Depending how nice your paint will be go for the cheapest of the 3 I hope that helped clear things up for you

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used AMD 1/4 panels bought through Summit. (free shipping)
Fit was relatively good. Had to tighten the gap at top of the door openings.
Also both side's of 1/4 pnl to deck lid opening. (AMD deck lid) I cut and moved actual 1/4 pnl deck lid opening channel over and added a small filler piece. Gauge of sheet metal was good very little body work needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I used AMD 1/4 panels bought through Summit. (free shipping)
Fit was relatively good. Had to tighten the gap at top of the door openings.
Also both side's of 1/4 pnl to deck lid opening. (AMD deck lid) I cut and moved actual 1/4 pnl deck lid opening channel over and added a small filler piece. Gauge of sheet metal was good very little body work needed.
Looks good
Gotta a pic of what you did around the b pillar area? You spot weld with mig then fill in or tig between?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aftermarket quarter panels

Sorry to say most replacement sheet metal will come close to fitting but there is always some cutting and fitting to fit the gaps. There just nothing better than OEM parts. The last 1965 Nova I had to replace both rear quarter panels. On the left side I had to cut the gas filler out of the inter fender and move it 1 inch back to make it work with the outer fender(left rear quarter panel) opening. The right side I had to cut and add a piece of fill to upper fender to correct the gap between fender and trunk lid. All the replacement parts and thinner than the originals too. If you can find a good quarter panel at a wrecking yard you probably will be a lot happier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the panel doesn't fit in the door jamb area, sometimes it works out to keep all or part of the door jamb from the original. For instance, with the problem on the photo above, you keep the area above the crest on the panel.

I've also seen replacement quarters that were too short overall (non-Nova) and keeping part of the old is the solution there too. I suppose the replacement could be too tall or too short too.

Point is you don't have to use 100% of the new panel if you can work that to your advantage.

Of course things get more difficult if the door jamb is part of the damage that requires a new quarter.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I put two full dynacorns on my 67, they fit perfect almost everywhere, perfect in the door jamb, wheelhouse, sail panel, rear window, decklid. The only problem was neither one pushed in far enough at the lower rear sill (right below the rear tail light panel). I had to take out 1/2 off each side of the sill. They look great. they looked exactly like the original at the rear sill and I could never figure out the differance.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Aftermarket never fits like nos . . . But there is always some
consideration

1 - 15 of 15 Posts