Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have introduced myself on the "newbie" page. I thought I would create a thread to post updates and questions on my 66 project.

It has been a 20 year desire to restore a Chevy II. I finally found the time (and thank god a solid car) to being my journey.

Likely to be included in project...

1. Mini sub-frame upgrade - looking at tubular conversion kits from CPP and CBR. Undecided

2. four-wheel disc brake conversion with power breaks

3. power steering

4. debating air conditioning. Dont really want it, but I do live in florida!!

5. Exterior color to be a metallic blue (including engine compartment). Bottom black (I want to drive it)

6. Interior color black

7. Already found and purchased original SS bucket seats, floor shifter and console (glad that is over!!)

Please let me know if you have any comments, advice or suggestions!! I welcome the experience of our veterans.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You know that if you and your family want to enjoy the car together that you must have A/C in it.

I've put A/C in every HotRod I've built, and so glad I did, plus...when it came time to sell, it was easy because everyone wanted A/C.

So, are you going to put a late model drive train in it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That will be a great car! I really got spoiled by the clean sheetmetal living in California. It sucks having to break out the torch on these Midwest cars!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't skimp on the AC, i think you would enjoy it even more on those 90+ plus days in Florida makes it much more tolerable. I'm goin Vintage Air in our 66 just for that reason. FLORIDA + A/C = :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Project

Looks like we are doing about the same on our cars, just curious what insulation/sound deadning material you plan to use on the interior, I just ordered the hushmat product, hope it does what they say it will...

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Looks like a rock solid car, good luck with it and keep the pictures coming.:yes:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
LIKE ALL HAVE ALREADY SAID, IT'S A SOLID PIECE YA GOTS THERE! I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS SO FAR. WELCOME TO THE 2ND GEN "COUPE" FRATERNITY!!! :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments. I definately got lucky finding such a solid car! It even frustrates me that I have to cut into the floor to mount the floor hump :(

I am definately going to install air - decision made.

Anyone have any advice on power steering with the CPP tubular suspension system? I have been looking at the bolt-on options from Borgeson. Trying to lock down my entire front suspension/steering strategy before I begin the build out.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sweet :yes:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That's almost unreal how nice it is under there, your a lucky man.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
What are your plans as far as driving it? It sounds like you want to build a cruiser. Is this correct? If so here are my suggestions:

1. Mini sub-frame upgrade - looking at tubular conversion kits from CPP and CBR. Undecided

My choice would be to go with the CBR kit. YOu could also go with a full front clip but that will be more involved as far as relocating the battery and other stuff that needs to be done. The CBR kit will let you keep your stock clip but give you better and more stable steering geometry.

2. four-wheel disc brake conversion with power brakes

If you want the bling then I would go with either Wilwood, Baer, SSBC or Brembo DB's. If bling isn't your thing then a set of Right Stuff Detailing DB's should do just fine.

3. power steering

CBR has a PS kit I think....Ask Chuck the owner.

4. debating air conditioning. Dont really want it, but I do live in florida!!

Most of the aftermarket kits are pretty much the same although Vintage Air seems to be the A/C of choice for most. There is also Hot Rod Air, Classic Auto Air, Old Air, etc. Google Hot Rod Aftermarket Air Conditioning. You'll get tons of results.

5. Exterior color to be a metallic blue (including engine compartment). Bottom black (I want to drive it)

Good Choice. What paint will you be using for the bottom? Por-15?

6. Interior color black

Cool....

7. Already found and purchased original SS bucket seats, floor shifter and console (glad that is over!!)

Should be nice! :thumbsup:

John

1 - 20 of 61 Posts