Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchaced a rather complete 66 nova HT that I cant seem to move when in drive. The car has a 283 with an auto trans which seems to be slipping or something. The car trys to move a little when I rev the engine but its a no go. I checked the trans fluid and it seems to be fine so what could it be? I hope its something simple as I just want to be able to move the car around under its own power until I can install my LS1. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks
Mike

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Mike, Welcome !!!

ya know, if it's been sitting for any length of time, the seals inside the tranny have a tendancy ta harden... slippage is a bad sign if fluid is proper.

just for a cheap try... try some of the tranny conditioner... it might work "Momentarily"

the more ya try ta "drive" it and have it slip, the worse it's gonna get....

John (sorry for the negative reply) on yer 2nd post :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah dont worry about being negative. I can still pull the car around the back yard with my wifes 66 bronco. LOL I guess I will go ahead and pull the engine and trans bend the PO wanted to buy them from me for $500 :eek: I had no idea these engines in the condition mine is in would be worth that but i guess so.

Mike

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it's the original 283 ??? yeah, it's somewhat of a "Special" engine...

if yer not interested in originality, it'll give ya some spending $$$ ta fix 'er up.

best of luck :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im not interested in being all that original with this car. It needs full floors, trunk and firewall rust repair so Im thinking of doing a full tube chassis With modern front suspension and rack steering along with IRS or 3 link in the rear. I plan to power this car with a twin turbo LS1 with a T56 trans. The car will be setup wiith a low stance and be an ultra high performace car. Thats my plans anyhow. The nova may prove to be to small up front for twin turbos. :(

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Mike Hall said:
The nova may prove to be to small up front for twin turbos. :(

Mike
Twin turbos will fit.....Big Big dollars to do it though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not going for anything to wild. I just want a good 650-700 RWHP. I will just need to add forged pistons and rods to my stock shortblock, upgrade the injection and fab up some turbo headers and exhaust. I figure I will have at least $5000 in the turbo stuff as long as I build my own headers and plumming. I guess I wil have to see once i get to that point of the build. Getting the car on a frame with floors and suspension parts will be a much higher cost than the engine.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts