Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 66 nova with ls2 lightly modified for approximate 430 hp. Was looking for advice on keeping 10bolt and rebuild with posi ect or find a ford or 12 bolt. Any suggestions for low cost rebuild or availability best shopping for swap much appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Agreed. 12 bolt Moser is the way to go. Your driveline is only as strong as the weak link and if you are going to spend money rebuilding the 10 bolt, best to spend a bit more to make sure you don’t have that weak link

·
Registered
88 Posts
It all depends on what your plans are for the car. there is and article where super Chevy built a 8.2 that held up to a 11 second car. A good read before you go jumping on the 12 bolt or ford axle wagon. I don’t see a reason to go spending 2gs for and axle going into a street car.
Google the following article
“Nova Rearend Build - In The Rear With The Gears”
Build a Bulletproof GM 10-Bolt Axle With Built-In C-Clip Eliminator”

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Super stock boys of the 70s were running 10 seconds with the 8.2 10 bolt. Most rear ends that GM built were the 8.2 and millions were installed in Chevy and BOP back then. The rules stated run what was factory installed. My racecar ran 11s with 3000 to 3500 stall and M and H sticky compound slicks. I broke a few teeth off the ring gear but never destroyed my rear. The 10 bolt is lighter and takes a whole lot less HP to turn a then a 9 inch. C-clip eliminators are a must, it can save your body from getting hurt as mentioned above. The other think you need to do is spend $150 on a rear end girdle. If you are going to run on asphalt it might be a waste of money to upgrade. If you run a concrete with slicks you may run into problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your are building a street car with 500-600 hp a properly built 10 bolt 8.2 or 8.5 should be sufficient unless your building a race car i wouldnt spend the money on a 12 bolt, ford 9”, moser or any other aftermarket rear axle. A 10 bolt will be easier to find and not any more expensive to build. Sometimes even less expensive but it all depends on the final use of the vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What about using the ford 8.8 a lot of them came factory with LS and disc brakes? They can be had from the pick and pull relatively cheap and if they have two you could snag them both so you have spare R&P and use the short axle out of 2nd for primary.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dont know about the later ones but i know the early ones in the fox body mustangs were nearly bullet proof from the factory. I dont think they have changed much over the years either. I am not a big fan of cross mixing manufacturers, am not a purist either but i do believe if you have a gm stick with gm if you have ford stick with ford

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I have a 10 bolt with Posi, New axles and a 4.10 gear behind my LS1 with a T56 dynoed at the rear wheels at 380hp i am running Nitto 555 drag radial NO problems if you dont mini tube and dont race every-week your fine. If i was to make a change i'd do a Ford 9'' its just the best axle with the most options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou for the response . Going to be a street car protour style, CBR 4 link and front for handling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I rebuilt my 10 bolt in my 68 Camaro with a posi and a girdle. Its running behind my 4 speed and a 383 with no problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a parts list and who you reccomend. I'm considering best cost effective options. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same dilemna but after reading the Super Chevy write up I have gone with rebuilding the 10 bolt as I figure a light car like my 65 and the 360hp atw it has (LS1, TH350, cam) won't stress it enough to warrant a 9 inch not too mention the weight of a 9inch and the power to turn it. Nova's were all about light so I'm keeping mine like that (and where possible making it lighter - eg LS is 50kg lighter than the 283 it had).

I've not had mine built yet (Vintage Air first!) but have already bought an Eaton Posi, rebuild kit with Timken bearings etc, Moser 28 spline axles and a Moser braced diff cover. Once put together and run in it should handle anything the LS will dish out and I expect to make a few more horses once I get the existing (rich!) tune touched up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back in 2000 I used a race a 98 TA withcthe factory 7.5 10 bolt. Best 60ft was 1.48 norm was 1.50 at 3400lbs. Preloading the rear will help a ton. 20191217_134439.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts