Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 66 nova ss L79 4 speed 12 bolt rear end from the original owner. 13,000 miles. My question is it does not have vin# on the front engine pad. Did they use vin# on all L79 engine pads? Any info would be great. Thanks, Larry

·
Vendor
1,291 Posts
If it is a 13,000 mile original car that is a huge flag as to why the VIN is missing on the engine pad. Is there any numbers there? Chevy stamped at a minimum a 1 - 2 digit (letters) suffix code there. I do not have my "Chevy By the Numbers" handy at the moment, but I think it says all motors started getting a VIN stamped in '64.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I own a 1966 L79 I purchased in 1974 and my friend purchased it 1972. He pulled the engine in 73 and sold it to a neighbor who just held onto it and only pulled the cam for his Nomad. I bought the block back from that same guy in the early 90's with the crank and factory dome pistons. I knew it was the same block with the spark groove that caused the blown head gasket and water in the oil. The oil pan and pickup followed the new engine my buddy had dropped in which was the L79 pickup. My block has the engine numbers but no VIN on the block. I asked this question on Steve’s around August 2019 and was told it was very possible the block did not have the VIN stamped. The engine numbers do match the date for my car, and I was there when it was pulled, so I know it is the block and a true L79. About 5 years ago my body man hooked me up with a guy that drove and still owns a Marina Blue L79 back in the 80’s in Hermosa Beach here. The engine was pulled, and block replaced by a local shop for some reason I can’t remember, but all the engine parts such as exhaust manifolds carb, intake, air cleaner were all put back on the replacement block. Right after the block was pulled a friend of mine whose father did business with the shop picked up the block and set it aside with his collection of other car parts. A few years ago, my friend who owns the L79 Nova, verified the shop that replaced the block and was wanting to get the block back from my friend who had it, but nothing has happened yet. When I was wondering about the VIN, while at a car local meet, I asked my friend, who has the L79 block to check and see if it had a VIN stamped. He went home and checked and texted me back that he only had the engine numbers and no VIN. So right now, I know of two SoCal L79 Novas that came without VIN’s stamped on the block. So, who really knows?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
this is a 327 but not an L-79 its a L-30 with a few extra goodies. it was assenbled in flint 12/22/66 an has the vin #'s of the full sized chevy passenger car it went into an has the KL suffix code. so maybe the vin wasn't used till late 66 or the beginning of 67. an the vin was only used to try to keep engines from being stolen.

·
12,898 Posts
I am new here sorry bob
Not a problem. We were all 'new' here once. Good to have you on the site.

As for your engine, the legal requirement to stamp VINs on engines didn't occur until the 1968 model year. Prior to that, there was some kind of mandate that certain CID engines would have the partial VIN stamped. Like so many other things at GM in the mid 60's, there probably was little consistency in doing it and nobody really cared. The partial VINs were stamped on the final assembly line by Chevrolet. Most were usually stamped after the engine was installed, but before the front sheet metal was in place. They were individually stamped numbers/letters and must have been a PIA to do. No wonder some just got passed by.

I think the key for your situation is to uncover other factors that could solidify that this is the 'born with' engine. Casting number and date, plus the suffix code to start. A low mileage car like yours may still have the original owners manual, including the protecto-plate. if you do have the POP, it will confirm the engine, transmission, etc. Let us know how you make out and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a problem. We were all 'new' here once. Good to have you on the site.
As for your engine, the legal requirement to stamp VINs on engines didn't occur until the 1968 model year. Prior to that, there was some kind of mandate that certain CID engines would have the partial VIN stamped. Like so many other things at GM in the mid 60's, there probably was little consistency in doing it and nobody really cared. The partial VINs were stamped on the final assembly line by Chevrolet. Most were usually stamped after the engine was installed, but before the front sheet metal was in place. They were individually stamped numbers/letters and must have been a PIA to do. No wonder some just got passed by.
I think the key for your situation is to uncover other factors that could solidify that this is the 'born with' engine. Casting number and date, plus the suffix code to start. A low mileage car like yours may still have the original owners manual, including the protecto-plate. if you do have the POP, it will confirm the engine, transmission, etc. Let us know how you make out and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts