Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the front and rear glass from Pilkington classic car glass. My side glass is clear I do believe. Can I go Soft Ray tint in the rear? I ordered a Soft Ray tint with shaded band for the front. I do believe the side glass is clear due to no Soft Ray on the LOF etch. Should I get a clear back glass to match the side glass or go with Soft Ray tint? The etch says SAFETY {LOF} PLATE. Looking for suggestions. I'm thinking going with clear to match the side glass.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I believe my car has Soft Ray all the way around.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My 67 has green tinted glass, I called the glass shop about clear glass since I changed the color of the car to blue, the clear is very pricey, he also told me all the gm cars in the 60's and 70's were green tint. I have not verified that.Any one know if this is true?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
My 67 has full tint all the way around. It should say on your trim tag what you

have. If you want the glass to look right on the car, then clear on the rear if

side is clear. I think all front had tint of some sort. Totally what you want,

most won't notice, I would think if you put tinted in the rear. Car shows it may

be more noticeable? Your car and what you want for the look. If it were me, I

would do the clear in the rear unless you change the sides.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
My '65 had LOF clear on sides and rear and a green tinted LOF Soft-ray front windshield.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Hogwash that they were all tinted. Plenty of cars that came with clear glass, Chevy II or no.
I second that :yes: I would say if anything, more cars were clear glass than tinted, especially on low-budget Chevy IIs!

EDIT: re-reading the comment and letting it sink in, I think the glass guy meant if it had tinted windows, all GM tint was green. Not all GM glass was tinted. I would agree with that. In the repop world you can now get "smoke", blue and green.

The most important factor here is if the glass fits!!! Especially windshield glass. The glass being overall too small seems to be an increasing problem. We have dealt with that twice in the last month or so, both coincidently on 64 hardtops. Have never used Pilkington classic car glass, so please do report how it works out. We are looking for a new glass supplier, our local one isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tinted Glass

Yes not all cars had tinted glass, it was an option. I only remember seeing green as the factory tint back in the 60's. If you ordered tinted glass all the windows were lightly tinted with the windshield having a darker green band at the top. I agree that the Chevy II being an economic car you would find more of them with clear glass, my 64 has clear glass.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I second that :yes: I would say if anything, more cars were clear glass than tinted, especially on low-budget Chevy IIs!

EDIT: re-reading the comment and letting it sink in, I think the glass guy meant if it had tinted windows, all GM tint was green. Not all GM glass was tinted. I would agree with that. In the repop world you can now get "smoke", blue and green.

The most important factor here is if the glass fits!!! Especially windshield glass. The glass being overall too small seems to be an increasing problem. We have dealt with that twice in the last month or so, both coincidently on 64 hardtops. Have never used Pilkington classic car glass, so please do report how it works out. We are looking for a new glass supplier, our local one isn't cutting it.
I found a great link on early auto glass. Interesting info on Pilkington Classic:

Overview
First-generation Camaro window glass was supplied by two manufacturers: Libbey Owens Ford (LOF) and Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPG). LOF was the overwhelming supplier for '67-'68 models, and the dominant supplier in '69. PPG acted as an alternative supplier of Camaro glass and was the primary supplier in '67-'69 to the sister model of the Camaro, the Pontiac Firebird. Either supplier for could provide glass to either GM division in the event of a shortage, but the only PPG glass use that CRG has verified to date in 1967-68 Camaro is the occasional use in 1967 vent window glass. There was an increase in the amount of PPG glass in '69 Camaros, especially at the Norwood Camaro assembly plant, possibly due to the production of the Firebird moving to Norwood in April of 1969.
LOF continues to do business as a division of Pilkington and has reissued their old glasses under the name Pilkington Classics. During the late 1960's, LOF had a number of automotive glass manufacturing facilities. The primary LOF manufacturing sites for Camaro were LOF Plants 6, 8, and 10. LOF Plant 8 in Toledo, OH (now closed) manufactured laminated glass, tempered float glass, and tempered plate glass, (the differences between these glass types is discussed below) and primarily supplied the Norwood, Ohio assembly plant. Plant 8 was also the only known LOF supplier of laminated windshield glass to both Camaro assembly plants. LOF Plant 10 in Lathrope, CA (also now closed) primarily supplied tempered glass to the Van Nuys assembly plant. The third LOF factory, Plant 6, also in Toledo, OH, supplied tempered glass to both assembly plants (to-date, CRG has found only vent window glass from this factory in Camaros). Of these three LOF factories, only Plant 6 remains open today, and it is this factory that has recently begun remanufacture of period LOF OEM reproduction glass for use in restorations.

http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml

·
Registered
65 Posts
My '66 came with tinted glass from the factory and as far as I can tell, other than the front windshield, the glass is all original. It is most definitely a dark color and certainly not green, Hmmm....

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts