Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built in British Columbia the right way using a 1st generation convertible tub. The base is a Canadian 1963 Nova 400 convertible. This allows use of the 1st generation convertible top mechanism, cowl and windshield header/frame, etc. The 1966 sheet metal is hung on the '63 tub. Not as easy as it sounds. The car still displays the '63 cowl tag and VIN and is titled as a 1963 Chevy II Nova convertible. You can see the car has been driven.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Not an easy build at all, and built on the right platform. Maybe the nicest '2nd gen' convertible I've seen, from looking at the underside, the top side, and the trunk. Finished well, and the choice of colors, especially for the top, make the shape of it integrate with the lines of a '66 much better. I wonder how it drives, of course, but somebody did a terrific job, at least from the pics. I don't know what they're worth because there really isn't anything to compare It to, but you'd be hard pressed to do one for that money starting from scratch.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Menno built that car but it is not his paint job. I am told the gentleman that purchased it originally in B.C. repainted it and finished the interior. It was eventually sold at Barrett Jackson for I think around what they are asking. I feel the price is realistic when compared to what other 2nd gens are currently selling for. You would indeed be hard pressed to build it for that money these days, especially sans Menno's resources.

It has a really interesting back story regarding where parts came from. Total jig saw puzzle, but not in a bad way. The trim, front clip, quarters and pieces of the rear under body are actually from some L79 cars that were being restored at the time he built this. It has (or had) the original dual exhaust mounts in the rear. Irrelevant, but a fun fact.

My understanding is he is going to build another one of these days to keep.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Meno bought some of the parts from my stolen L-79, it was all cut up !!!!!!! Its pricey !!!
Yeah, he had mentioned parts from a stolen L79. Horrible :(

·
13,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he had mentioned parts from a stolen L79. Horrible :(
Yes, we were all shocked when Frank's first L79 was stolen and chopped in the early 2000's. It was a Royal Mist (Danube Blue in the U.S.) Nova SS, all original and GM Canada documented. Some parts were found and a few years ago the engine surfaced. Never to be denied an L79, Frank found his current one in boxes and it's now one of the finest Canadian L79s around.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts