Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 66 Nova has this nasty habit, though not all the time, it's spitting back gas when trying to pump it in. Seems that one gas station was REALLY bad so we just head over to the Chevron but one of the pumps there just did this last night.

Anyone else have this issue? What causes it and how to correct.

Thanks,

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
see if the vent tube off the fuel fill tube is clogged... it vents the tank as fuel's being pumped... etc.

or possibly the filling station pumps at a higher GPM than others and it backs up ???

hope i helped :D

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Mine used to do that years ago when I was driving it daily. I've been through a few tanks of gas since the drivetrain rebuild and it hasn't burped gas out once since.

As Flyer said, cleaning the vent tube that runs from the filler neck is key. :)

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
My 67 does the same thing too- it seems to be a common issue. I found that it doesnt burp up if I hold the nozzle upside down at a 45 degree angle when Im pumping. I also pump slowly(set the nozzle on the first stop).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the vent tube - it's not clogged. Filled it today and it didn't spit back, same gas station different pump.

So was this an issue back in the day - or are today's pumps pumping gas faster? Anyone know of a corrective action - other than pumping slow or handle upside down or 45 degree angle?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I think most of the problem with them is the bends in the filler neck. Some pumps fill so fast that the gas spits back. Don't full throtle the handel or get gas across from someone else they seem to fill slower that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts