Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
1,399 Posts
There are at least three versions on the market - Dynacorn, TWE and OER. You then run into when the stamping run was done and if things were retooled to fix issues with a latter stamping. Basically, a grill produced by vendor "A" in 2008 fits like crap, their 2014 stampings are much better. This is a hypothetical, but has occurred with parts like grills and most recently 3rd gen fender eyebrows.

The complaints I hear are thin and / or poor fitment on the ends. People get them to work obviously, as a lot of cars have repop grills on them. Fitment on the ends seems to be the biggest complaint. I would use TWE or OER over Dynacorn. If you have a real nice car I would have an original redone.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There are at least three versions on the market - Dynacorn, TWE and OER. You then run into when the stamping run was done and if things were retooled to fix issues with a latter stamping. Basically, a grill produced by vendor "A" in 2008 fits like crap, their 2014 stampings are much better. This is a hypothetical, but has occurred with parts like grills and most recently 3rd gen fender eyebrows.

The complaints I hear are thin and / or poor fitment on the ends. People get them to work obviously, as a lot of cars have repop grills on them. Fitment on the ends seems to be the biggest complaint. I would use TWE or OER over Dynacorn. If you have a real nice car I would have an original redone.
I used an NOS grille on my last car. Prior to that, I used an OER grille. The issue that I have found as to why the ends don't fit right is because the bend of the grille is incorrect. I actually made a jig out of plywood and clamps and bent the grille an additional few degrees. It only slightly cracked the anodizing at the center and you could only see it if you were looking for it and even then, it was not readily noticeable to 99% of viewers. I took an original grille and measured the required degree of bend and bent the OER grille to match. Fit like a glove then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input vanovafan and SouthBay2s. That's kind of what I figured. I have the original that's in pretty good shape, it just has a small ding in the lower horizontal trim that can be worked out.

·
Vendor
1,399 Posts
I would redo what you have then. Going the extra mile or spending the extra dollar to restore an original piece is normally well worth it in the end (y)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
i got lucky an got an original spare last year at a great price. but is what i wanted to say until you work in a stamping plate you'll not really know what it takes to make a stamping. just the difference from one coil of alum. to the next one the press dies requires an tweak. an that was 54 years ago they made the originals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input vanovafan and SouthBay2s. That's kind of what I figured. I have the original that's in pretty good shape, it just has a small ding in the lower horizontal trim that can be worked out.
Here's an update on my grille situation. I found a used original GM grille for sale locally. By chance they also had a new repop from Tiawan, which I compared to my original grille. The repop was wider overall by 1/4". The used grille is in nice shape and will polish out nicely. If anyone is curious about my car, I'm doing a full rotisserie restoration. I'll be posting my story, my plans, and pictures soon. I hope everyone enjoys the ride - build.

·
Vendor
1,399 Posts
Good deal on finding an original GM grill to use (y) With the level of car you are building it is the only way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts