Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my nova friends, Im new to this site, an learning how to use it, i have a 66 nova sport coupe, an im rebuilding the back end an i have questions an need some help,i removed the stock leafsprings then i moved the torque boxes under the back seat inward 3 inches on both sides then i put a 1 3/4 offset shackle on both sides of rear springs. the new springs are a three leaf with a 1 in drop, now the wheels i got are 17 in -11 in rim with 315 tires thats 12 1/2 in of tire wall to wall,I used the drivers side to figure what i needed to make this work, now i just cut out the wheel wells to get the tires under the car. driverside fits like a glove giving me 3/4 in clearance on fender and spring, when i went to do the passenger side, i got cleanance on fender but my back of tire hits the side of spring, so i went over all i did to see if i made a mistake an i didnt, but i found center of driveshaft hump and strung a line then measured from center to each side of frame and found my car is wider on the driver side then passenger,so with that said i think thats why my tire hits the spring on the passenger side, can anyone tell me if you have done the kinda of mini tub like i am and found the same problem and why did factory make the car that way. all my mods are mirrored each side. did i have to make the passenger side different from the jump due to this offset? please send me all the info so i dont think im going crazy lol. tom

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Not sure exactly where your problem is but your car will have the center of the driveline 1/2" closer to one side then the other. Will measure 1". So if things were shifted 1/2" it would be the center. I would suspect if you moved the perches on the axle that is where the problem is.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You will find that the factory built the entire drivetrain offset to the passenger side of the car. Therefore you have to take this into consideration when doing any drivetrain modifications. You either have to center it all or leave it offset, one way or the other. I've seen some people ignore it and end up with a zig-zag out of alignment drivetrain. The other thing to keep in mind if you ever consider changing to an after market front clip is most of them do NOT include the factory offset which means if you don't fix the trans & rear end locations you end up with...well you guessed it. That's one of the reasons I really like the Chassisworks front clip. All the factory dimensions are built in, including the clutch ball linkage mounting point. Anyway, hopefully that helps provide you with what you need for your project. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou for the info. i myself did bye classi chassiwork clip i also have a 9 in ford rear im having build for the car. but before i do so i have to make sure , my rims fit an all is in line , tell me whay was the reason for the off set by factory ty tom

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
thankyou for the info. i myself did bye classi chassiwork clip i also have a 9 in ford rear im having build for the car. but before i do so i have to make sure , my rims fit an all is in line , tell me whay was the reason for the off set by factory ty tom
Not sure as to the exact reason other than slightly more room on the driver's side, maybe gas pedal or something. Just remember when they build the rearend to include that offset for the pinion or your driveline won't be straight. If you are looking for a rearend builder, there's one up here that is one of the best around. Buy your rims FIRST, then build the rearend to the rims. That way there's no guessing as to whether they will fit or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rims

Not sure as to the exact reason other than slightly more room on the driver's side, maybe gas pedal or something. Just remember when they build the rearend to include that offset for the pinion or your driveline won't be straight. If you are looking for a rearend builder, there's one up here that is one of the best around. Buy your rims FIRST, then build the rearend to the rims. That way there's no guessing as to whether they will fit or not.
I have 17 in wheels with 315 tires an this is where im starting.tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts