Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a 66 nova limo? One is being restored in my area by a nova guru that has some very rare 66 novas. I saw it stuck away in his shop. It was a roller in primer waiting to be restored. I was told it was built for Howeard Hughes. Looked for real.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody? Is it for real? I"ll see if I can get a pic the next time. He wasn't real thrilled about the first time I looked at it.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,643 Posts
You'd think with Howard Hughes' money he could get a limo built out of something much better than a Nova. Cool factor now, just an economy car back then.

·
13,824 Posts
Weren't most limos converted in the after market? I think we can be pretty sure there was no production of Nova limos by GM. I think limo manufacurers will convert just about any vehicle for a price. Not sure why anybody would pay to convert a Nova, though.

Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
66 limo

There it is. Thanks Dave B. The one I saw has a full back window. Were they made by GM? And any idea of how many.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
There it is. Thanks Dave B. The one I saw has a full back window. Were they made by GM? And any idea of how many.
I doubt that GM made ANY 6-door Chevy IIs. The only GM airporters I'm aware of were done by specialty coach-builders. Some companies, like Checker, did make them, but the quantities were very limited.

And, as for the word 'limousine', it's seen the same type of dilution as 'muscle car' and 'sports car'. I've always drawn the line based on the interior accommodations. To me, a limousine must have a rear passenger compartment with at least some level of luxury. Airporters, on the other hand, are basically shuttle vehicles intended to move people and their luggage without serious regard to luxury.

Here's Wikipedia's take on the origin of 'limousines': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limosine

And, if you're interested in seeing more of these extended critters, here's a link to a good website: http://my.net-link.net/~dcline/limoair1.htm

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
GM and Ford use to make limos up to the 70's, not sure about Chrysler. Most were called "Formal" limos. Back then there really wasn't such a thing called a "stretched" or "super stretched" limo like you see today. Most were formal limos or airport limos. The limo that JFK was shot in was built by the Ford Motor Company.

Now I'd like to chop this '50 Merc, paint it black with flames and put a Desoto grille in it! :D

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I;D RATHER HAVE A WAGON WITH A DRIVER! :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts