Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, Well I painted her this weekend and I am very happy with the Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 base and clear. It was a pleasure to lay the base down on Friday and have a window of seven days to lay the clear on. I was able to clear on Saturday and Sunday and will finish up tonight under the trunk lid and inside doors. Enjoy!

Without Clear

With Clear Coat

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was nervous at first to use the Sherwin Williams House Paint (Only Joking) I mean Auto paint over the Dupont products I have always used but now I am so glad I tried it. I love the seven day window for the clear because you don't have to rush everything into a one day shoot And if there are any problems like a BUG :eek: you can repair it before shooting the clear. :yes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
looking good:clap:

just one question. to tom or anyone else that has painted there car at home.

how long does it take to get rid of the paint smell?

i use to paint cars.but i had access to a spray booth. bu now i dont.but i would not mind doing it but my garage is attached to my home.dont want to stick up the house.

what kind of gun did you use?

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
smell

My wife almost moves out when i paint in the garage even primer, as expensive as bodymen are and the delay in our projects the more you can get done at home the better you are.

I would say a good week depending on outside temp the new paint type makes my house smell, leave everything open to help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i never gave it much thought on painting my car at home.but with the money you save it might become a posibilty for me thats why i was asking.

last time i painted was before hvlp guns.
i still have a binks model 7
and a sharpe 775

just wondering if there are better ones out there that are in a $300 range.or should i go old school with mine?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
how long does it take to get rid of the paint smell?
Was going to ask the same question. There's one photo with a door in the background that made me think that the garage is attached.

My wife gets a headache whenever spray can primer is used, so spraying the '77 at home is most likely not going to happen. :(

That color blue you went with is great. Is that Lemans?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the garage is attached but there is a magnetic seal around the door. The garage is fully insulated that helps seal out the smell. Why not tape off your access door when you paint. I also used a freinds brand new HVLP gun that was wonderful. The clear coat went on OK but the lighting hurt me because clear is so hard to see I have some runs :mad: But! the nice part is I sand and buff the hole car to a mirror finish anyway :D
Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I almost forgot. That is the factory "Marina Blue" taken from a 1966 GM chip book. Sherwin Williams Ultra 700 high end color Number 939. What is also very nice it is a 1 to 1 mix so I purchased 1/2 gallon and when mixed I had a full gallon and saved about $150.00, I did not need two gallons of base. The car took two coats and one drop coat with a little left in the can :yes:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
One gallon of color and one gallon of activator on a HVLP gun and you were able to cover the jambs and under trunk lid, too?

How much materials did it take to spray clear?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:no: No, it was 1/2 gallon of base color with 1/2 gallon of activator @ 1:1 mix gave me 1 gallon of sprayable product. Yes I was able to do jams, under trunk & complete outside with paint left. That is two coats and a drop coat. It is a great covering product. The Clear is 4:1 so i purchased one gallon with 1 quart of hardner and I had 1 1/4 gallon of sprayable product. Sprayed three nice coats and she is beautiful accept for the runs I have :mad: but as I said before, that can be wet sanded and buffed to look as smooth as a baby's *****!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts