1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
from what i can remember, its glued in not like the front glass. its roped in

·
Registered
928 Posts
ok I have searched threw so many posts. and I am finding confilcting information.

I have a 1966 4dr Nova and have a leaky rear windshield.

is it glued in or have a roped in molding?

am I going to murder the chrome moldings removing them?

is this something I can actually do myself?
Its held in with a butyl tape and adhesive. You need a special tool to remove the moldings, Harbor Freight has them for like 5 bucks. Its the second one from the right. slide it on the glass between the glass and the molding, move it sideways until you hit a clip, pull back and it releases the molding, there are like 5 or 6 clips on top and bottom and 3 on the sides. Be gentle, its easy to bend the molding if you rush.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
thanks guys!

do i need to get a cutter for the butyl? or will it be pliable still?

can i just glue it in with some window weld? or that not advisable? i would imagine it would make it more of a pain to remove later if needed. but would seal better?
Butyl tape sets it at the correct height, the glass in these cars is not a structural part of the car so it works fine. There will also be rubber blocks that the glass sets on, make sure to put them back in. I've seen people use adhesive and its hard to apply it uniformly, thus you can see it thru the glass and it looks like hell. JMHO
The tricky part is getting the glass out without breaking it, the tool a glass company will use is a heated cutter, I've always used a very fine wire like piano wire, that takes 2 people one inside the car and one outside.You basically feed the wire thru the butyl and saw back and forth. You may want to find a glass company that is familiar with older cars and get a price. You may be surprised at the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts