Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help with my 66 nova 230 6 cylinder with a/c. I need to know if anybody out there has a 66 or 67 chevy ll nova 4 door with a/c that can tell what size is there fan blade and did it come with a fan clutch.also i would like to some pictures of the engine showing the fan shroud and fan blade.i can't find any imformation on the internet regarding the production of these novas with air condition.I currently have a four fan blade.according to my service repair manual the a/c car with 6 cylinder shows a five fan blade i thought it should have been a 6 fan blade with clutch.any usefull help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
need help with my 66 nova 230 6 cylinder with a/c. I need to know if anybody out there has a 66 or 67 chevy ll nova 4 door with a/c that can tell what size is there fan blade and did it come with a fan clutch.also i would like to some pictures of the engine showing the fan shroud and fan blade.i can't find any imformation on the internet regarding the production of these novas with air condition.I currently have a four fan blade.according to my service repair manual the a/c car with 6 cylinder shows a five fan blade i thought it should have been a 6 fan blade with clutch.any usefull help will be appreciated.
62-67 A/C Novas with 6 cyls did not have a fan clutch.There is simply no room.

However GM improved both airflow and waterflow with a five blade fan and smaller diameter W/P pulley.

In the picture below,the A/C fan and pulley is on the left.Non A/C on the right.

No room for any type of fan clutch..........

·
Registered
730 Posts
awesome info on the fan and pulley, didn't know they existed, not related to this thread but going to see if I can find these to address my heating issues

arndog

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
i cant be sure... but

A long time ago like the early eighties I was in the local pick a part and i saw a 66 nova wagon with factory ac. When we first saw this car my friend and I wondered WHY it was in the junk yard this car was very complete and VERY clean. Anyways I don't remember the number of fan blades BUT ...I am pretty sure it had a plastic fan shroud.. very thin... I have never seen another fan shroud on a six cylinder early nova since then.. BTW many years later I bought and still own a 63 wagon with no ac but it did come with a pesky overheating problem I tried to locate one of those plastic fan shrouds but never found one. My wagon would overheat when idleing or moving very slowly like @ a drive thru. I tried everything to include : new high efficiency radiator,new water pump no thermostat/ new thermostat/ flushed out the block, etc etc etc.I finally took it to the professionals at mattsons radiator in buena park,so cal. They said I needed a fan shroud!They built me a custom fan shroud out of aluminum (beautiful work) PROBLEM SOLVED.... she has never over heated again..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts