Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be auctioned Friday, Jan. 11th

Looks pretty good, except that the improperly painted door sills stick out like sore thumbs, as do the red-line tires.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359538/1966-chevrolet-nova-ss/

BTW, I still haven't found a way around Mecum's latest software that blocks photo copying. If anyone figures out a fix, please post!

·
Registered
66 Nova SS
3,702 Posts
Nice looking car! Your right about the door sills, you would have thought that somebody would have painted them, and the glove box door

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
It will be interesting to see what it goes for. In some ways, it was a little tougher to restore one back in the late 80's as fewer reproduction parts were available, but that might be an advantage: more NOS parts were available and more affordable, so the right restorer had a decent chance to use Chevrolet parts.

Have to carefully look at the car in person. There is one shot of the rear of the car and I swear the top of the right quarter above the taillight is lower than the left one. Hit RR quarter at one time or camera tricks? Hopefully they do a detail job on this car before it hits the block, as the interior still has some serious dust to it. White on blue with what this might still need won't be top dollar, but with all the docs, it'll be interesting.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I will be driving at Mecum again this year and on that day. I will try to check it out. Might even get lucky and get to drive it across the block.

Jim......

·
14,138 Posts
Yes, the whole side view of this car is impaired by the door sill issue and the red lines (not an option in 1966). Simulated wire wheel covers don't work with anything except white walls, which this SS probably had when new. The description says it's a refresh of an older restoration. As Utterson states above, over the years somebody should have known that door sills on lighter colored '66 super sports were painted black. It's an easy fix and can be done in your garage.

There are also a number of detail items that need attention. Rocker moulding screw heads should be black to blend in with the black rocker paint. Under the hood, the water pump bypass hose clamps are not correct.. The exhaust is incorrect for an L79 and the tires are too tall. A real L79 at auction should also have a period correct battery. The stance seems to be off somewhat, almost appearing to be a slight rake to the rear in some pictures. A barely perceptible drop to the front makes a world of difference. I agree with Ally that this car needs a thorough detail before hitting the block.

To Frank's, observation about 80's restorations, my L79 was restored in the late 80's. Had Chevrolet dealership parts receipts for fenders, rear quarters, grill, interior/exterior door handles, trim and almost an entire interior. Must of been near the end of availability for most of those factory parts, but they sure fit great!

Bob

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
those white door sills will not help in a top dollar sale i would think. an on the drivers door the top an bottom rubber door bumpers are missing. the bumpers are a cheap an easy fix that could be done before he took the pictures. like was said, that glove box lid needs some help.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
BTW, I still haven't found a way around Mecum's latest software that blocks photo copying. If anyone figures out a fix, please post!
You can push print screen and then use paint to crop the picture.

66L79.png

·
14,138 Posts
Four easy fixes that would make this car 'jump' at auction. Paint the door sills.
Paint the rocker molding screw heads. Replace the red lines with correct sized 1 inch whitewall tires. Shine up the simulated wire wheel covers and take 'er over the block.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
Clean the interior!! The pictures show dust and dirt. I agree, the little and cheap fixes could be worth some $ on the block.

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
To tough to know. There's a lot of information there, and there's paperwork. Authenticity, matching numbers, and checking the condition of the car are still other things. I'd bet the right rear has been hit and repaired, but can't be certain.

There's a wide chasm between a $50K-60K L-79 '66 cars and the $125K ones, and I'm not sure that there iare a lot of sales in between.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've seen thee 66 SS cars auctioned in the last two months. The highest went for 32,500 and the least one brought around 26. They were all pretty nice cars. None brought anything near what a lot of guys are dreaming of for regular driver cars. I'll be surprised if this car goes for much over 50-55 unless a real bidding war starts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've seen thee 66 SS cars auctioned in the last two months. The highest went for 32,500 and the least one brought around 26. They were all pretty nice cars. None brought anything near what a lot of guys are dreaming of for regular driver cars. I'll be surprised if this car goes for much over 50-55 unless a real bidding war starts.
I agree with you.

·
14,138 Posts
I think some of the L79 collectors will be seriously looking at this car, especially if they've determined the authenticity of the POP and invoice. It needs detail work, but wouldn't take much to bring up to collector L79 standards. Could be a deal or a bidding war. We'll wait and see.

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts