Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
That looks to be just as you stated. Can't check all dates from pictures, but distributor seems to be December '65, and the thermostat housing looks correct. Have to check part numbers and date codes on the rest of the pieces as the pictures don't show all the detail, but that looks to be a replacement block with the attachable parts switched over from the blown engine. A Holley expert might be able to tell more.

That said, not having the original block to the car hurts the value of an L-79. But perhaps the CE is the next best thing, the excuse being a blown engine back when replacements were available. It's a little easier to explain than a restamped block, a block with the incorrect code or some other car's VIN on the pad.

You'll easily be well north of 10K before finishing this engine, and it may well be worth it to the right '66 owner.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
stored outside??

I wish somebody had take better care of that engine!! expensive parts lots of rust and electrolysis. the carb looks awful!! a ton of money to restore or find replacements. the block is probably good risky in my opinion for that kind of money. I paid a grand for my engine and Muncie trans. early take out in 1974 those days are long gone!!

·
13,707 Posts
That's one nasty looking engine. Anybody buying that without an on-site inspection is crazy. Some of the components on it look ready for the scrap pile. I'm guessing this engine is going to need just about everything. As Frank mentioned, you could be over 10K on this real quick. A car that has proof it was born an L79, but has a CE block will suffer decreased valuation, but it's better than nothing.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Sure, it would bear inspection. And hard to know if it has been rebuilt previously, bored, etc. Would be interesting if ALL the outer parts were transferred from the original engine, as they might be date code matching. If that were the case, that might make it worth some more. Just ask anyone trying to date match components for one of these cars....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts