Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
I think we have seen this car before here on SNS. Extremely rare color combination with that interior. Sure it has it's issues, and with no docs, I don't think it'll be a 6 digit car at all. Does anyone have the record of it's previous sale price...or didn't it sell? Tough time to be running across the block.

·
13,353 Posts
Yes, this is one of those cars that surfaces every couple of years on eBay or at auction. If a car is a real L79, it's usually wise to state that in an ad. This one has no such thing. You can't always tell from pictures, but it appears they may not have quite matched the original Chateau Slate at repaint time. The '362' block means nothing as all 1966 and 67 Chevy II applications used this block (except early '66 cars). The Bright Blue interior was an available option for Chateau Slate, but most were black.

Bob

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think we have seen this car before here on SNS. Extremely rare color combination with that interior. Sure it has it's issues, and with no docs, I don't think it'll be a 6 digit car at all. Does anyone have the record of it's previous sale price...or didn't it sell? Tough time to be running across the block.
I am curious why it would even be thought of as a 6 figure car with Jack Duer just selling his for I believe $79,000. I guess two inebriated bidders?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, one possibly silly question and an observation. I'm not fluent on Second Gen cars. Wouldn't a true SS have a factory tach in the instrument bezel? The observation, Wouldn't you clean up the lenses on the reverse lights if you were going for maximum profit? I would.

·
13,353 Posts
Ok, one possibly silly question and an observation. I'm not fluent on Second Gen cars. Wouldn't a true SS have a factory tach in the instrument bezel? The observation, Wouldn't you clean up the lenses on the reverse lights if you were going for maximum profit? I would.
There was no factory standard equipment tach of any type on second generation Chevy IIs, even the L79. The under dash 'knee knocker' was an available V/8 option. The under dash tach on this Chateau Slate car isn't a 'knee knocker'. A fuel gauge was the only real dash gauge on the 1966/67 Nova SS. On the other side of the cluster was a clock. Everything else was idiot lights.

This car is 'wanting' in many areas. In addition to the dirty rear lenses is the dinged up tail light bezel housing them. Note the broken horn ring and wrong paint on the lower driver door sheet metal. There is no hood diecast, no black painted door sills, no mention of original engine, or even that it's a real L79.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
EM3 makes a good point. I think the Jack Duer car was a great buy for that price, not only for the restoration quality and originality but that I personally love the color combo, and that's pretty uncommon for an L79. That buyer got a good deal, I believe. And I think that the owner of the Chateau Slate car is thinking 6 figures for a number of reasons: rare color combo, many '66SS L79 owners think that their restoration is automatically 6 figures, and that auctions can be typically overbid, though not in this climate. Given the times we've seen this car, apparently some owners have thought it should go for that. I'm not saying that's legit, I just think that's what is blowing in the wind.

·
Registered
539 Posts
EM3 makes a good point. I think the Jack Duer car was a great buy for that price, not only for the restoration quality and originality but that I personally love the color combo, and that's pretty uncommon for an L79. That buyer got a good deal, I believe. And I think that the owner of the Chateau Slate car is thinking 6 figures for a number of reasons: rare color combo, many '66SS L79 owners think that their restoration is automatically 6 figures, and that auctions can be typically overbid, though not in this climate. Given the times we've seen this car, apparently some owners have thought it should go for that. I'm not saying that's legit, I just think that's what is blowing in the wind.
Yep, the people that actually said NO to this car speaks loudly to the car and what it will sell for

1 - 9 of 9 Posts