Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1966 350/4-speed coupe
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nova folks,

I wanted to get your opinions on my 66 nova's fuel gauge issues. I've been messing around underneath it trying to isolate what exactly the problem is. The gauge is always on the last Empty tick no matter how much gas is in the tank. Here's what I did:

1. Removed the wire attached to the sending unit and turned the ignition on. The gauge moved quickly to beyond the Full marker, all the way to the right.
2. Placed the sending unit wire back and then removed and cleaned the sending unit grounding wire. The gauge stopped at half a tank (I thought this was a little odd).

My guess is that the wiring and gauge are all fine. I think this is a sending unit problem, possibly a cracked float. Is it possible to replace the sending unit on my 66 without having to drop the gas tank? The unit is accessible and I can clearly see it from underneath the car. Here's a pic of my gas tank, sending unit is where the hole is:

Or maybe I have it pegged wrong? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes you can change it without dropping the tank. I had to put a new one in mine and the gauge started working right.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, put her on jackstands, crawl under with a hammer and a brass punch, and knock the retaining ring counter-clockwise. If possible, make sure the tank is not full. I say brass so you reduce the chance of making any sparks.

Replace it with a unit from any of the usual vendors.

DW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts