Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have exact measurements for holes for the "v8" and "327" emblems on 66"s front fenders? I'd kinda like them to be right, instead of the usual " yah, that's pretty close I think " reasoning I have used in the past. Is there a gap between the emblems or does the 327 sit pretty much on the v8 emblem? Most pictures of cars are from the front or so far away I can't tell.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi rodguy43 ,if you have a copy of the assembly manual,it tells you how to do it . one page (11-13,b2,pg 139) shows you the layout for the flag ,the other page(l30,a6,pg252)shows you the layout for the cu.in. emblem.i can't figure out the starting points they use to plumb and level the holes:confused: maybe someone else can help?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi IF I can find them I have templates from a OEM fender if not I can make a new set off of my car.Do you have the SS name plate quarter templates ? I have the sides from a SS car I cut off.
David R.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still Need. Anybody?????

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
emblems

Did you ever get the right location for the emblems? I need to get the same info if you have it. Thanks for any help. Dave 6t7nova

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
NNN sells templates from OEM fenders. I bought mine there. They make them when ordered so it takes them awhile. I believe they charged me $15. Becareful with the 327 mounting posts because they are offset. You will see what I am talking about when you start. If you center the posts then the entire 327 emblem will not be centered above the flags emblem. I centered the entire 327 emblem over the flags on mine. The template NNN sent me had the post holes centered but I offset them so the entire 327 emblem was centered. They said the fenders where original so I guess GM wanted the number 2 centered but I did it the other way. Confused yet:confused: You will understand when you start though.;)

The best way to understand what I am talking about is to mount both emblems on a piece of cardboard BEFORE you drill any holes in your fender then remove them from the cardboard and you will see the hole locations and then you can decide which way you want to mount the 327 emblem.

If anybody has an original V8 car with the original fenders from the factory maybe you could tell us how the 327 emblem is located above the V8 flags.

here is a pic of the template NNN sent me notice how the top set of holes are centered this moves the entire 327 emblem over to one side and you can see the extra holes I made to the right which then centers the 327 perfectly over the flags.
Drivers side

Passenger side I offfset the holes on the fender but not the template.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
hi rodguy43 ,if you have a copy of the assembly manual,it tells you how to do it . one page (11-13,b2,pg 139) shows you the layout for the flag ,the other page(l30,a6,pg252)shows you the layout for the cu.in. emblem.i can't figure out the starting points they use to plumb and level the holes:confused: maybe someone else can help?
They must have measured from a point on the assembly line,that is all I can imagine:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Does anyone have exact measurements for holes for the "v8" and "327" emblems on 66"s front fenders? I'd kinda like them to be right, instead of the usual " yah, that's pretty close I think " reasoning I have used in the past. Is there a gap between the emblems or does the 327 sit pretty much on the v8 emblem? Most pictures of cars are from the front or so far away I can't tell.
There is a gap

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
I make CNC Lexan templates to install the emblems that are accurate to 1/1000th of an inch (which is closer than GM ever got them). You are correct about the 327 emblems having offset mounting posts which are due to the lettering and how it had to be cast. I make templates for both the 283 and the 327. 383 and 502 aftermarket emblems are even available now too.

When mounted correctly, the displacement emblem is centered perfectly over the "V" emblem. It actually sits down below the tips of the "V" slightly.

If you take a pair of calipers and measure the gap from the bottom casting edge of the displacement emblem to the top edge of the flat on the "V" casting, it is exactly 0.250" or 1/4". The gap may vary +/- .005" or so due to the tolerances involved in the castings themselves but the gap will be very close to 0.250"

Here's a picture of one of my 327 templates.

The botton and side edges of the template are designed to give a nice even number when measuring for the proper location on the fenders too. I put a machinist straight edge across the bottom and then measure the distance with calipers to make it level with the fender. The hole in the corner is the "origin" reference point for locating the mounting holes on the fender. The location measurements are taken from the bottom crease in the fender and the flat that forms the door gap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
emblem template

Hi,
read your thread about the front fender emblem template, I've been searching for the proper position for my emblems and I'am wondering if you sell the templates as I would be interested in buying a set, please contact me thru this website by way of PM, thanx, chris

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just a thought.... but one of our members just gave us a great clue. I am going to use a piece of a file folder and create a template from the flags and 327 emblem.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a copy of a page from my 67 assembly manual. Good Luck.
This shows relationship to each other, but not orientation on fender, which is what I needed.
I don't remember who, but another member provided info I needed,used, and was very happy with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts