Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driveshaft that I have is 52.25" center to center on the u-joint holes and 3" outside diameter. This does not sound right to me for a '66 4-speed car, but it has been a long time since I have messed with these cars so thought one of you guys may know.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Anything in particular that doesn't sound right?

did it come out of that car?

I am pretty sure that the 6, and 8 engines will use the same drive shaft with a 3 speed, Powerglide, TH 350, and 2004R trans. I have had the last 3 in my car using the same driveshaft. I have changed the front yoke to a more appropriate one for the 2004R, however. Can't say for sure that my stock driveshaft is 3" OD. It may be, I've never measured it though.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a different yoke for a 4-speed muncie and a turbo350? The reason I ask is because the yoke that I have will slide all the way up in the tailshaft of the turbo, but not the 4-speed. If it would slide all the way up into the 4-speed tailshaft I believe that I could get the driveshaft past the pinion yoke and get it in.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say correct

I have a 66 and and just sawpped from a 350TH to a 2004R.
Originally thinking the overall length would be the same. The 350 driveshaft length was 50(too short), and we actually need exactly what you have 52.25.
OD is about 3".

Where did you get your driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I have a 66 and and just sawpped from a 350TH to a 2004R.
Originally thinking the overall length would be the same. The 350 driveshaft length was 50(too short), and we actually need exactly what you have 52.25.
OD is about 3".

Where did you get your driveshaft?
you probaly have a long tail shaft th350

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
When I put the 2004R into my car I used the stock PG driveshaft and yoke. It was actually a little short. there is a better yoke for the 2004R that is actually a little longer, mayber .75" or so. I tokk my Ds to a shop and they balanced it and installed the new yoke and U joints. He siad it was the only yoke they stocked for the 2004R. I think the rear bushing in the 200 might be further into the trans and this longer yoke allows the tailshaft to be fully supported. Anyway, the longer yoke fixed my problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts